SDG questions

I've owned a Pro Mini for awhile now, good machine.

Step 1: Go over it stem to stern and retorque everything. You should do this with any bike.

Step 2: Order a shift fix kit, which consists of an updated shift star, detent spring, etc. It's a 30 to 45 minute install depending on how experienced you are.

Step 3: Put a good quality non-synthetic oil in for break in.

Step 4: Pin it :applause:

They're good machines, bit cramped but that's part of it's 50 heritage. You can get a different peg bar to improve the ergos a bit. The motor responds VERY well to light porting, a replacement cam, and either a 56mm or 57mm bore kit without changing pipe or carb. The Pitster X2 pipe makes for a nice cheap upgrade, or you can go right out to a H-Bomb for short money.

Dunno what's in the manual, or if they even come with one as I never bothered picking up the extras that come with the bikes in the crate. :applause:

For the most part, use common sense. Don't use a 3/4" drive 2 foot long ratchet to torque a 4mm allen bolt, etc. Be aware that the threads are going to be softer than you'd expect, loctite is your friend, and you should be good to go.

I ordered my shift kit direct from SDG, costs a little over $20 for an updated shift star and detent arm springs.

Pax Racing has upgraded fork cartridges if you want external adjustability too btw.

For the money, I'd look at a Pitster X2/X3 if you like 50 based geometry, or the X4 if you want a midsize. The Pro Mini is most directly comparable to the X2, sporting a similar frame setup. The X2 has slightly longer travel forks with adjustability out of the crate, I prefer the Pro Mini's Zochs though. The X2 also gets you a 'big bike style' rear swinger over the Pro Mini's A arm, a win for the X2. The X4 is a roomier, bigger machine sporting longer forks up front, and for a bit more cash you can get an X4R with top end 8" travel Zoch Shivers.

Based on the reviews of the X4, I'm going to hit up Pitster Pro at some point down the line and see if I can get a half roller X4 to use as an upgrade for my Pro Mini so it'll be a proper midsize. I'll slam in KTM65 cartridges in my Zochs so I'll have a long travel front end, use the X4 frame and rear end, and slap in my 141 Lifan for propulsion. Just gotta wait for there to be enough inventory in the states to get a partial bike out of them. : )

• 3 months later...
Dunno what's in the manual, or if they even come with one as I never bothered picking up the extras that come with the bikes in the crate. ?

For the most part, use common sense. Don't use a 3/4" drive 2 foot long ratchet to torque a 4mm allen bolt, etc. Be aware that the threads are going to be softer than you'd expect, loctite is your friend, and you should be good to go.

I ordered my shift kit direct from SDG, costs a little over $20 for an updated shift star and detent arm springs.

Pax Racing has upgraded fork cartridges if you want external adjustability too btw.

For the money, I'd look at a Pitster X2/X3 if you like 50 based geometry, or the X4 if you want a midsize. The Pro Mini is most directly comparable to the X2, sporting a similar frame setup. The X2 has slightly longer travel forks with adjustability out of the crate, I prefer the Pro Mini's Zochs though. The X2 also gets you a 'big bike style' rear swinger over the Pro Mini's A arm, a win for the X2. The X4 is a roomier, bigger machine sporting longer forks up front, and for a bit more cash you can get an X4R with top end 8" travel Zoch Shivers.

Based on the reviews of the X4, I'm going to hit up Pitster Pro at some point down the line and see if I can get a half roller X4 to use as an upgrade for my Pro Mini so it'll be a proper midsize. I'll slam in KTM65 cartridges in my Zochs so I'll have a long travel front end, use the X4 frame and rear end, and slap in my 141 Lifan for propulsion. Just gotta wait for there to be enough inventory in the states to get a partial bike out of them. : )

you said you ordered your shift kit right from SDG .... i need one can you give me the website.... so taht i can order it... cuz i went on SDG and i couldnt find no shift kits or nothign at all... thanks!

you said you ordered your shift kit right from SDG .... i need one can you give me the website.... so taht i can order it... cuz i went on SDG and i couldnt find no shift kits or nothign at all... thanks!

Yup, I did. You have to call them to order it, they don't do nada for sales via their website. Number is on their site.

I have had a sdg speed mini for 3 years. They installed the shift kit in mine for free after I took it back to my local dealer. The bike is awesome, I have beat it and beat it and the only maintenence is adjusting the valves. I upgraded the rear shock and have been happy since. It is a little cramped as someone mentioned earlier, but . . anyways, its a good bike.

• 2 weeks later...

i have had my pro mini for a year. so far i have broken the engine cases, replaced the swingarm bearings, replaced the lower shock bolt, and replaced a shift fork. mine did have the transmission problems. i installed the sdg shift star and drilled another hole in the shift detent to increase spring tension. the cheap stock plastic will break for no reason. overall the bike has taken alot of abuse and is a blast to ride. i have made upgrades to anything that i have replaced.(replace chinese bolts and bearings with better quality parts)

the reason that it busted the cases was because the engine was wider than the frame (a cheap chinese bolt did not help). look very close at the pics and you will see that the frame is bowed out to squeeze in the motor. that caused most of the tension from the frame to be on the top of the eye where the bolt went through the motor. after i removed the busted engine i squared up the engine mounts on the frame so that they would be straight up and down. i measured the distance between the mounts and again my new engine was going to be wider than the frame. i removed about 1/16 of an inch with my dremel from the engine on each side so that it would fit snug and square in the frame. i also installed an engine cradle for added insurance. since then i have found additional information that will help resist the busted cases. http://www.big50raceandretroparts.com.au/items.php?section=services

i like my sdg alot. it takes a serious beating. i ride it about 5 times a week and i expected to have some problems. it starts first kick everytime and when the engine was torn down it showed very little wear.

toddspics1028.jpg

toddspics1027.jpg