Sign in to follow this  

welding on a bike

I need to weld on an exhaust cap on a vintage bike and was wondering if the voltage/current will travel through the bike and perhaps ruin the rectifier etc on the bike. Obviously I would have the ignition off and the battery unplugged.

should be ok. can you not take the exhaust off?

try putting the ground for the welder as close to where youll be welding, then it shouldnt hurt anything.

also maybe pull the spark plug cap.

welding will not hurt it but you have to place the ground to the exaust nearest the weld.If you ground the welder say on the handle bars you may burn up something.

I was on an industrial job on a paper machine and welders were welding every where,they hooked there ground anywhere and the currents were running through some electronic equipment and ruined $30,000 worth of equipment so they made all welders ground there machines within 3 feet of what they were welding on.So just ground it right next to were you are welding and you will be fine.

Tell you what man i'm a iron worker and you won't burn anything up unless you directly connect it to a piece of equipment. No matter where you connect it, current flows through the steel everywhere not just one spot. If you doubt it ask a trade teacher.

I need to weld on an exhaust cap on a vintage bike and was wondering if the voltage/current will travel through the bike and perhaps ruin the rectifier etc on the bike. Obviously I would have the ignition off and the battery unplugged.

Yes, it can. But if you ground it right were you are working, you will be just fine doing it on the bike.