Sign in to follow this  

Help Me Install My Handguards

:applause: very frustrated....

I need to install my new MSR handguards (standard 7/8" size) on my bike (standard steel stock bars). The lockbolts that came in the kit seem way too small to sit in my bars. Is there something else I need to purchase so these will fit snug into the bar ends? I don't understand!

They should 'expand' as you tighten them down. Generally there is an angled cut in the metal piece that goes inside the bar. As you crank down the bolt one of the two pieces slips 'sideways' and binds against the inside of the bar.

:applause: very frustrated....

I need to install my new MSR handguards (standard 7/8" size) on my bike (standard steel stock bars). The lockbolts that came in the kit seem way too small to sit in my bars. Is there something else I need to purchase so these will fit snug into the bar ends? I don't understand!

There should be a long bolt and two round pieces that are cut on an angle that go into the bar ends... When you tighten up the bolt the two pieces slide together and act like a wedge and clamp to the inside of the bars... your going to have to cut a hole in the grips and make sure the throttle side you might have to cut the throttle tube down some so it doesnt bind on anything... hope this helps... Tom

I understand how it expands. But, there is no way the bolt will expand enough to actually fit inside the handlebars.

If I remember right, from the last time I put handguards on steel handlebars (it's been quite awhile) the walls of the steel bars are thinner than the walls of the aluminum bars so they have a bigger inside diameter.

Don't most handguards come with the wedges for both steel and aluminum bars. If yours don't, you should be able to find a set of just the wedges at a dealer unless of course my recollection is wrong but I remember going through a similar excercise when I swapped my stock steel bars out for some new aluminum ones a few years ago.

I understand how it expands. But, there is no way the bolt will expand enough to actually fit inside the handlebars.

Lets see if we can get you through this... First off lets see if all the parts are there... You have the handguard piece... you have the clamp that bolts on the handlebars and holds one end of the handguard... Then the handguard raps around and attaches in the end of the handlebar... The pieces that do that are a long bolt and two round pieces that are about an inch long and one end is cut on an angle... One of those has a hole in it that the bolt will go through and the other one has threads on one end of it ... Now are you saying that the two round pieces that are ron an angle wont fit inside the handlebars? ... or are you saying they wont tighten up inside the handlebars?... Try this... take the long bolt and slide the wedge on without the threds so the point of the wedge is facing away from the head of the bolt... Then slide the wedge with the threds on with the point facing the point on the other one and screw the bolt on alittle... Now stick it in the handle bar if it slides in it should work it should seem very lose... now the end of the wedge thats not pointed thats facing the head of the bolt should have square end on it that will fit inside the hand guard piece that keeps it from spinning while you tighten it up so the wedges will come together and spread apart and grip the handlebar... the wedges will have to be touching each other when you go to tighten them up so they wont spin... so put the bolt through the hand guard slide the wedge on without the threds the square end should fit inside the handguard so it cant spin then screw the other wedge on so the points come together slide the whole mess inside the handlebars hold the handguard up to the handlebar pull back on the bolt so all the stuff touches each other and tighten the bolt till it snugs up... sorry for being so long winded just trying to answer any questions you might have before you have them...Tom

So, the puzzle continues :applause: can you help me figure this out? ...the pieces that fit on the bolt (in order) should be as follows:

bolt goes through bar--->unthreaded lockbolt---> (angles touching) --->threaded lockbolt (angled)---->square piece?!?

I don't have any square piece. Is this what fits on the very end of the bolt (after both threaded lockbolts)? Anyhow, there is no room at the end of the bolt for another piece past the angled pieces (lockbolts).

Am I going crazy? :eek:

Every system has a little bit different assembly inside. I've had bark busters of various types and both steel and aluminum bars, and never had a problem.

Do you just THINK it won't expand enough to hold it, or have you verified this by actually tightening it down?

So, the puzzle continues :applause: can you help me figure this out? ...the pieces that fit on the bolt (in order) should be as follows:

bolt goes through bar--->unthreaded lockbolt---> (angles touching) --->threaded lockbolt (angled)---->square piece?!?

I don't have any square piece. Is this what fits on the very end of the bolt (after both threaded lockbolts)? Anyhow, there is no room at the end of the bolt for another piece past the angled pieces (lockbolts).

Am I going crazy? :eek:

Your not crazy you just havnt done it before... Ok first off read bbom's post... keep that in mind... now lets see if we can get you headed in the right direction... put it all together on the bench so you can see how it works... put the bolt in the handguard... slide the angle piece without the threads all the way to the hand guard with the angle facing away from the handguard... there should be an angle on one end and instead of the other side being flat there should be somthing that looks like a square of an oval sticking out of the other end kida like a little nut sticking out of the end of the angle piece... that fits into the handguard so it wont spin when you tighten it up.... then thread the other angle piece on the bolt so the angles come together now hold the threaded angle piece with one hand and tighten the bolt with the other untill they all come together and you should see how it spreads apart it wont spread apart till all the pieces are against the handguard... when you get it all together you will see how it works... next you will have to cut out the ends of the grips start with the clutch side... grab your handguard with all the pieces still connected ... losen it up enough so the wedges spred apart enough to fit it into the handlebar then tighten it up till its tight it should be stuck in the bar now... if after you tighten it up and its not holding go to bbom's post... ok confused now? heres the tricky part... start with the clutch side making sure the handguard is touching the end of the handlebar and tighten... now the throtle side is different you have to cut the hole in the end of the grip you might have to cut the end of the throtle tube off so when you install the handguard it wont touch the throtle or the grip so it wont get stuck on... there can be no binding the throtle must open and close freely no binding... let me know if you got it this time... Hope this helps....Tom

there should be an angle on one end and instead of the other side being flat there should be somthing that looks like a square of an oval sticking out of the other end kida like a little nut sticking out of the end of the angle piece... that fits into the handguard so it wont spin when you tighten it up....

This must be where the problem lies. I have no such piece like this. I have 1 bolt, 2 angled lockbolts and 1 metal piece to mount the handguard (along with the other obvious parts to mount to the front of the bars). That's it. I bought this as a "kit" and I really thought it included everything I needed. Why would it not include this one tiny (very important) piece? Are you sure that piece is not specific to types of kits?

This must be where the problem lies. I have no such piece like this. I have 1 bolt, 2 angled lockbolts and 1 handguard. That's it. I bought this as a "kit" and I really thought it included everything I needed. Why would it not include this one tiny (very important) piece? Are you sure that piece is not specific to types of kits?

now dont stress.... there is no other piece... all there is is two angle pieces one bolt and a handguard lets take a deep breath or two... now feel better... ok did you try to put it together without putting it in the handle bar yet... if not do this first... dont worry about the square end on the angle piece it it will go together by itself... Im on a mission now im not going anywhere till you get this.... I sent you a pm... Tom

Nice rant on the long hair thread and to make a correction, I am a woman and I did post the information that would help you with this issue.:applause:

Once again (and I did verify this because it sounded familiar but I haven't run steel bars in years):

Steel handlebars are thinner walled than aluminum handlebars so IF the handguard kit does not have wedges for STEEL i.e. larger inside diameter handlebars you will need to get some for STEEL handlebars from a dealer.

7/8" steel handlebars generally have 2 mm (about 1/16") thick walls which gives you an inside diameter of about 3/4".

7/8" aluminum handlebars are generally about 5 mm (3/16") thick walls which gives you an inside diameter of about 1/2".

Most kits come with BOTH sizes of inserts but many do not.

I have definitely looked at this thing (for hours) HA! ...and tried to put it together inside (and out) of my handlebars. It's just too darn tiny! It doesn't want to expand enough to fit snuggly in there. Here's the product: http://images.ridegear.com/images/large/HawkinsHandguard.jpg

Oh my :eek: ive never had a problem with them before... so if you used a wrench on the bolt and it wont fit tight ... go down to your local motorcycle shop and see if they have a larger size wedge... :applause: fill me in on your progress...Tom

Duh, good thing there was a MAN around to help out. :applause::eek: BTW, not offense Tom and it was nice of you to try to help.:lol:

Duh, good thing there was a MAN around to help out. :applause::eek: BTW, not offense Tom and it was nice of you to try to help.:lol:

:lol: Sorry I could'nt help you any better...:lol: good luck... let me know if I cant help you any more in the future... LOL Tom

Tom- Thanks for your input. I'll let you know what the solution is (if there is any).

Nope, nothing dumb about the question and it perplexed me back when I tried to install handguards on my steel bars. It was a learning experience.

And thanks for the neutral gas, I prefer it mixed though.