Sign in to follow this  

Plating a quad

Can you plate a quad? Make street legal. Specificaly the Polaris Outlaw 525. I am located in Rensselaer County New York, just outside of Albany, New York.

in a few issues back of dirt wheels, they had a feature on street legal raptors or yfz450's i cant remember which one

i assume you could just get those DOT street legal kits for dirtbikes and wire it up yourself.

i would love to get a street legal quad, it would free up so much trailer hassle.

my area, the trails are like a mile from my house. a mile of main road and or right behind the local cop station. so i couldn't get away with riding the street if i tried.

I saw an LT-R 450 once with a plate. Not sure if it was legal though because the plate looked old and the quad was new...

I posted this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here for info purposes.

While you need to register and have insurance on your quad in New York, even if you don't plan to use it on public land, you cannot ride it on the street. Now some areas in the Adirondacks will "look the other way" when they see you riding your quad on the side of the road because the entire area relies on tourists for their existence. State law enforcement officers may or may not depending on the phase of the moon.

It's a real issue that is still being discussed by various levels of New York government. I recall watching a news item about a municipality that wanted to allow ATVs on the road and the state saying "not a chance". There's a lot of politics involved and the "legislation" that created the Adirondacks is vague in many areas, causing econuts trying very hard to outright ban ATV/dirt bike usage. They're also the reason there's still cell phone dead zones along I-87 and many parts of the park: the towers will spoil the scenery.

Here's the link to registering your ATV with the NYS DMV:

NYS DMV FAQ on ATVs

And here's the link to the relevant chunk of NYS Traffic Law:

Article 48c of the NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law

According to tphillip's post, all of our family quads need reg and ins even to ride on our private property. Now those laws are governing what we can ride on private property..................like any reg money goes to trail maintenance on private land. :applause:

like any reg money goes to trail maintenance on private land. :applause:

Actually that program has been discontinued. Your registration will be $15 less, but the entire program to have public ATV trails is currently dead.

Remember to thank your local state rep and Gov. Spitzer for that.

The rules very by state. It's not uncommon here in AZ. We're full though, so go away... :applause:

The rules very by state. It's not uncommon here in AZ. We're full though, so go away... :applause:

actually, i have wanted to move to AZ for about 5 years now. I think I will once school is done.