Sign in to follow this  

DR 650: Needs balls

You guys are killing me. Got this bike yesterday, know it needs airbox, jetting mods and ? Read a bunch of posts for the last 2 hrs so I didn't have to post for input, but there is WAY too much info to sift through. Need the final results. If your bike now rips much better and you advise for my area, please tell me which needle to get and where to get it. Same for main jet. Any more carb mods like airscrew? Willing to spend a little on a slip on muffler if it really helps. I think I got the airbox mod down, but the rest I could use specific help. Keep me under $350 on performance mods though. I'm in FL near sea level and warm to hot weather. I'm looking forward to getting this done and riding this thing. If anyone needs this info on a CRF250X, I can help cause mine rips. Thanks.

Hey Dirtboy,

I did the airbox mod and used the Dyna-Jet and 14 tooth sprocket from Jesse at keintech.com. He is a very helpful dude and his shipping was fast. I bought a FMF Q2 from TPI motorcycle parts and they also shipped fast.

I use the 14 tooth sprocket for any dirt or local riding and use the stock 15 for any highway use. Some guys screw with the gearing even further, but this works for me and what I do with the bike.

I did the airbox mod, used the 155 jet, DJ needle with the clip down 4 notches and drilled the carb slide. The bike felt a little snappier. Recently I bought the FMF slip-on, changed the jet to the 160 and now it seems to pull harder from the bottom on up.

I'm in Seattle about 500 feet above sea level, so your jetting may be different, but probally not to much. Anyway if you get the DJ kit you can play aroung with it, plus I'm sure someone local to you will post with their settings.

This bike will never be a little bullet like your honda probally is, but it's not meant to be. I have a KDX 200 and a KTM 400 and both of those bikes rip way better off-road than the DR ever will, but the DR will go anywhere and has good torque for climbing stuff, It's just heavy and undersprung (It's worth thinking about changing springs at some point.) It's also pretty decent on the pavement, stiffer springs make a difference here as well.

Hope this helps,

"T"

Just did mods...great first impressions, and I do not believe there will be much tweaking to do.

I am ~2000ft above sea level (beautiful N. GA mountains) Opened air box (took side door off, will desnorkel and open top when I get the time, and replace door to help keep it cleaner). DJ kit 155DJ main, fuel screw ~1turn, DJ needle 4th clip, stock exhaust, stock Air filter...did NOT drill slide. Also regeared to 15 front, 44 tooth rear (trying for a bit more pop, but still want to run 80). Used 520 chain and sprockets. For $70 (Including Jesse @ Kientech's fuel screw)I'd start here, and save the $$$ on exhaust (I am not a loud pipe guy)

I got this setup from a member here (Thanks, Wayne)...it work well for him, and seems to be a nice one for my bike. Nice difference with more torque everywhere, no surging, and pulls great from down low...roll ons are a nice feeling now. Simple 1 hour job.

I did NOT struggle with the carb screws as some do. I used Needle nose Vice grips to start them and break their hold. Nothing stripped and no curse words muttered.

good to hear, sounds like you have some pretty good instincts :applause:

why bother? no matter what i do to my dr650, it will still be pig in the dirt, and considerably slower than my real dirtbikes (fe550 and 250sx), and considerably slower on the street than my real streetbike (bandit 1200). i suppose for a lot of people the fun is in the tuning and playing with mechanical bits, but for me the fun is in the riding, and with minor jetting adjustments (shimming needle and adjusting the fuelscrew), my 650 is sufficiently powerful to get the job of adventure touring done, plus i'm not giving up any gas mileage. i tried to get performance out of my old klr650, and while better than stock, it was still a pig, and it was louder and got worse gas mileage. :applause:

Velo's right,

The mods won't make that much of a difference, the gas miliage WILL drop and the bike WILL still be a pig. He also forgot to tell you that he is in really good shape, as he likes to remind us from time to time in case we forgot.:eek:

I did the mods I described above because I like to tinker with crap and I guess I don't like to ride so much?:applause: The bike is nothing like my street or dirt bikes but I still find it a little funner to drive around since the mods were done. But in reality he's right, if your tight on cash do what he said with the carb and save your money!

"T"

My DR don't need balls, she's a lady. :eek:

and she has YOUR balls on her back...:applause:

Well the 650 will never be anywhere close to a crf, but for what the pig is it does ok. Let me tell you that if youre so inclined the 650 can be woke up pretty good with little money involved. Mine has minimal tweaking and does 1st gear rollon wheelies no prob.

- 14 t countersprocket-header weld ground-pilot out 2-1/4-shimmed needle- snorkle out -3 1inch pop in vents in air box-twin air filter- .And will still do 90mph on the speedo.

Lots of luck whichever way you go. These bikes can be alot of fun ,just dont expect CRF like performance out of a DR 650 (Dualsport).

Good information here. I'm not trying to replace my CRF with the Pig here but if I can tweak a few things, get a little bark and not blow the budget or the gas mileage thats cool. I know my CRF ran like crap and was probably soo lean it was damaging until I rejetted, opened the airbox and drilled a nice hole in the exhaust diffuser (which made it just a little louder but not too bad). For 18 bucks I had a dramatically better machine. Just looking for a few things to let the DR be what it is. A better Pig. Thanks and keep em coming. BTW, has anyone opened up the stock exhaust just a little?

I did the mods I described above because I like to tinker with crap and I guess I don't like to ride so much?:applause: The bike is nothing like my street or dirt bikes but I still find it a little funner to drive around since the mods were done.

lol, well that's what it's all about is fun. do whatever is fun, but newbies should just keep in mind that a dr will never be a real high-performance bike. i've seen more than a few people try to hop up these bikes (or klr's) and end up disappointed.

still, no one has to be like me if they don't want to. just sharing my opinion. sorry if it came off too preachy. i really really like my dr with just the springs and minor jetting adjustments, but i'm a fanatic about noise. i rode to lapaz and back on my klr with a supertrapp pipe and was incredibly annoyed by the noise. it really added alot to my fatigue levels, so i'm definitely staying with the stock exhaust on this bike unless i squish it.

Noise is a big deal. In Washington we just had an Abating Environmental Noise bill that could have been detrimental to the sport, die on the senate floor. It's a nationwide problem and we all need to keep our bikes stealth. That said, I did buy the FMF Q2 because I read the supertrapp was noisier. The Q2 is not far from stock as far as noise goes, but it does have a little bark to it when you get on it, I hope it's quiet enough as I don't want to be a part of the noise problem.

"T"

Well, I agree mine was a pig in the dirt when I bought her, box stock 2003 with 1000 miles. After I de-snorkled, drilled and adjusted the pilot, currently at a Mikuni 150 main, (need to try a 147.5) installed a Yosh slip-on, and dropped a tooth on the countersprocket she is now more like a rhino in the jungle and I like her much better. I guess she's actually more of a big lizzard, since we call her godzilla now.

And I do agree she's not even close to my KTM 450 in the woods, and can't touch my GS1000 on the pavement, but she is what she is, a GREAT adventure bike that can go most places in the dirt, just a little slower than my KTM.

I may be dropping her soon though, since I'm dating her little sister now!

Yes, I bought a '99 DR350SE a month ago and I think I'm in love. Why did Suzuki stop making that bike? 30hp, six speed, air cooled, bullet proof, she's a lot mo' better in the woods, and can handle the pavement sections of my dual sport adventures well.

I'm still trying to date them both, but right now if I could just keep one, it would be the 350. Not that it's better than the 650, just different and closer to my intended use. I'm not going on a week long adventure ride, I'm just doing day trips ito the national forests of the southeast.

YMMV, just my .02 and I'm often wrong, and rarely imitated!

Good information here. I'm not trying to replace my CRF with the Pig here but if I can tweak a few things, get a little bark and not blow the budget or the gas mileage thats cool. I know my CRF ran like crap and was probably soo lean it was damaging until I rejetted, opened the airbox and drilled a nice hole in the exhaust diffuser (which made it just a little louder but not too bad). For 18 bucks I had a dramatically better machine. Just looking for a few things to let the DR be what it is. A better Pig. Thanks and keep em coming. BTW, has anyone opened up the stock exhaust just a little?

I drilled 2 quarter inch holes either side of the exhaust opening. It sounds "fluffy" while it is idling and louder but nobody would complain. When I work up through the gears I can hear it and it sounds nice. Cruising at 100kmph (60mph) all I can hear is the wind in my helmet. The stainless steel was......hard to drill through. If anybody knows of something else to drill holes through this I'd like to know. I think I will try one or two more holes.

I think by design the stock exhaust is good. If it wasn't so heavy I would really like it. I think Max Kool said that bigger exhaust volume is better for performance. And elsewhere I have read that a megaphone shape is better performance wise for big singles. The stock exhaust has both these features.

After i bought an 04 new

Installed the jet kit, supertrapp and did the airbox mod

slight performance gain, mpg was 32

probably not worth the bucks

good bike for cruising around town but no way to get more power really.

I agree with you vegas. I have done the same and haven't noticed much difference. Although it is nice to know that I am not running lean anymore (heat and wear) - that alone makes me more comfortable. I think I will get a staintune for the note and weight savings. I listened to my modified stock without earplugs and it sounds crap:-)