Sign in to follow this  

85 Upgdrade for harescrambles

My son is trading in Morocross, yeah, for harescrambles. Where can I find larger gas tanks and skid plates? Any other suggestions?

Tks,

The biggest disadvantage that a 1985 bike will have is the damper rod forks. Upgrade them with some newer cartridge forks or install cartridge emulators.

I thought that most races can be run with stock tanks. If you do need a larger one, the least expensive are the Clarke ones.

What kind of bike is your son riding?

The biggest disadvantage that a 1985 bike will have is the damper rod forks. Upgrade them with some newer cartridge forks or install cartridge emulators.

I thought that most races can be run with stock tanks. If you do need a larger one, the least expensive are the Clarke ones.

What kind of bike is your son riding?

Where do you see 1985 ? I see a 85cc bike for his son. :applause:

The CRF150R :applause: , just kidding... Yeah you could put on a larger gas tank, I think IMS might make some for your bike.

for skidplates I like the flatland racing ones b/c they come w/ engine guards also (to cover oilfilter cover and waterpump on 4 strokes)... I have the worksconnection rad braces and they are a good quality product.

Check out www.rockymountainatv.com they have a large selection of products and great deals.

Tks for advise. My son has an RM85, should have clarified:blush:

No more sleepless nights of fearing for his health on the SX/MX circuit. To many horror stories lately of bad inncidents and I don't want him to be a statistic.

I'll measure off distance in miles, and use that to gauge his consumption. I'm getting him handlebar protectors. Tks for help.

Tks for advise. My son has an RM85, should have clarified:blush:

No more sleepless nights of fearing for his health on the SX/MX circuit. To many horror stories lately of bad inncidents and I don't want him to be a statistic.

I'll measure off distance in miles, and use that to gauge his consumption. I'm getting him handlebar protectors. Tks for help.

no kidding, the bikes keep getting faster, a kid on an 85 nowadays is running the pace of 125s of the early 90s, yet we are wearing gear that is pretty much the same for the last 10 years

I hear ya as well. We have pulled out of kids MX for this year, and I am thinking of letting my son try harescambles. Gonna do one myself first though, and see what it is like. I have been asking around as to how to equip my RM 125 for harescambles. Everyone says handguards and a skid plate. I have also added a "lever saver" ( a heavy wire between the brake pedal and frame). It is supposed to stop the lever from bending, but I find the biggest advantage is that it keeps sticks and vines from snagging up in the brake/footpeg area. Most people have suggested that i hold off on the bigger tank. Apparently there is the opportunity to refuel without losing too much time. Also get on some trails and try different suspension settings.

I have also added a "lever saver" ( a heavy wire between the brake pedal and frame). It is supposed to stop the lever from bending, but I find the biggest advantage is that it keeps sticks and vines from snagging up in the brake/footpeg area.
We call them Brake Snakes around here.

You can buy them from Moose for under $10 or you can make them for under $4

Go to a local bicycle shop that does repairs and ask for old worn out brake cable, preferably with a large lead button on the end. Get yourself some fuel hose, or any rubber hose really. Go to a hardware stor and get some wire crimps. Ones that will allow you to loop the wire around and back to itself, so the wire is side by side.

Most MX bikes don't have a hole in the shifter or brake lever so you will have to drill a small hole no larger than the wire you have. Thread the wire thru the lever slide the fuel hose over the wire. The fuel hose is just there to protect the engine from the wire. Slide one side of the wire crimp on the wire and then wrap the wire around the frame rail or another point in front of the lever. Bring the wire end back to the crimper and leave enough slack to have full use of the lever. Then crimpthe wires and you now installed a Brake Snake. :applause:

I have bent the crap out of brake levers before so the furst thing I did was install them on my bike when I got it. Debris jamming between your engine and levers (brake and shifter) can bend them. The snake just helps keep the crap from wedging in there.