Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ250 Impressions?

Hey, i was wondering if anybody could give me some insight on how the 06 yz250 is. There is one down at my local dealer (was stolen and found the next day with less then a half tank through it and minor scratches) for 4500 Canadian. How is the bike? Its either that or i'm going to buy a 2000 CR250 for 2700-3000. Which do you think would be better for me?

Thanks

4500 is a real good price for one,Does the owner not want it back?prob with a stolen bike is that you really dont know what went on with it.

for that price, it seems real good, although like mentoined above, you dont know what went on with it, but im biased in this thread because i have a 2000 cr250, and love it, so if you dont get the yz, deffinatley get the cr, :applause:

i think the yz will be a lot faster than the cr and the suspension on the newer yz's isnt bad. i would buy a 1 year old bike rather than a 7 year old bike every time.

The yz was stolen directly from the dealership so it didn't have an owner. The CR is in mint condition, i know both owners and neither rode the bike very often at all, and never hard. I've ridden the CR but i don't know what the yz would be like compared to it.

i would guess it would be a lot faster and it should handle at least as good. i was always partial to the showa suspension but the stock susp. on my 07 yz works really good.

You can't go wrong either way, I own a 06 yz250 and my brother owns a 00 cr250. I am pretty sure his bike is faster than mine, but my suspension is a lot better. We haven't race to know for sure but we did race my 04 yz450f on pavement and he stayed dead even with that. Its had some porting and has a pro circuit pipe/silencer. Both bikes feel really light, the yz suspension is just a lot better. I would own either bike. That 00 cr250 rips for sure. The yz has a little more bottom end and midrange but the cr has more mid and top. The yz is a more fun bike to me.

I had a 02 cr250 and read all the great reviews and every ones great opionons on the 06 yz so up graded to a 06 yz so far im dissapointed and considering selling it allready, im stilling trying to get the suspension dialed so this could change but kinda regret not going honda again, theres no point in a quick motor if u cant ride it, and the 2000 cr was meant to be better than the 02 cr, my point is if not expierenced rider stay away from the yz

Well, as long as the thief didn't run straight gas in it... :applause:

I check the gas in the tank and it looked and smelled like it was mixed as far as i can tell. I guess the other thing i was worried about it resale, when i got to sell the bike again i think i'm going to have an easier time selling the yz. I am probably going to send my suspension in to pro action anyways as i will most likely need new springs (i'm only 150-160 lbs) but have been riding for 4 years. I guess we'll see what the dealer has to say when i offer 4000, ha ha. When riding the cr there was quite a bit of viabration as well, i imagine the yz would be better for this?

I check the gas in the tank and it looked and smelled like it was mixed as far as i can tell. I guess the other thing i was worried about it resale, when i got to sell the bike again i think i'm going to have an easier time selling the yz. I am probably going to send my suspension in to pro action anyways as i will most likely need new springs (i'm only 150-160 lbs) but have been riding for 4 years. I guess we'll see what the dealer has to say when i offer 4000, ha ha. When riding the cr there was quite a bit of viabration as well, i imagine the yz would be better for this?

...then get the YZ, mate! for all you know i've been drooling to get one of those after a friend of mine had me try his :applause:

The 06 YZ250 is an awesome bike. Suspension is spot on but does need a little time to break in as the initial stroke was quite hard but nothing the clickers could'nt fix. The motor is the best available, power everywhere and plenty of it. I was a Honda man for years and had not owned a bike for a while so when it came time to buy a new moto I did the research and Yamaha are the only company still spending R&D on their two strokes and it shows in the final product. You would be crazy to buy the old CR, so what if the YZ was stolen, put a ring in it and ride it, it will be the best bike you have ever owned.

I have a 06. Awesome bike. I love it. I would rather get a 1yr old over a 7yr old bike anyday, doesnt matter what it is. The yz has awesome power. Very nice suspension. Handles like its on rails. Good re-sale. Could you ask for anything better?

I have both an 06 YZ and an 01 CR. After three rides on the YZ, the CR went up for sale!

Not considering that the CR is older, here are my rankings on a scale of 1 (low)to 10 (high)

Motor - amount of power: CR - 9.0, YZ - 10

Motor - ease of use: CR - 8.5, YZ - 10

Suspension - forks: CR - 6.5, YZ - 9.0

Suspension - shock: CR - 7.5, YZ - 8.5

Stability: CR - 7.5, YZ - 8.5

Cornering: CR - 8.0, YZ - 8.0

Quality: CR - 10, YZ - 9.0

YZ's suspnsion is lightyears better than the CR's and it's faster, too.

Well i got a deposit on the yz250, holding it for two weeks. Only one problem, i can't buy the bike until i get rid of my polaris xc600. I have lowered the price A LOT but haven't sold it yet, have come close though. Its so annoying having to wait!:applause:

my 06 yz 250 is incredible, i had major jetting issues at first with the pc platinum pipe but finally got it dialed, i trail ride and can lug all day and scream when i need to. 13/50 sprockets now but 13/52 last season were much better.

Well i picked the bike up on Friday if you haven't read my post in the Pics/Vids forum so i'll post em here anyways.

Switchingtoblue003.jpg

Switchingtoblue002.jpg

Switchingtoblue001.jpg

I've only got to ride it for about an hour so far but HOLY CRAP:eek: its got some major balls. Its gonna take a lot of seat time to get used to it cause you touch the throttle and your gone. Hooks up like a bike i've never ridden too, it doesn't spin it just grabs and doesn't let go. I had to be careful wheelying out of a few corner:applause: ha ha. Any tips on adjusting to the 250 other then a lot of riding?

sweet ! defo the right choice , the older cr had a great motor but that old frame was so stiff i have just got an 06 yz my self and i think its got to be the only 250 out there to have