Sign in to follow this  

Track Record ...of the 450X, I'm thinking of buying.

What is the track record of the CRF450X over the past few years. maybe 2003-2007.

Are they reliable? I know all bikes need to be maintaned. But does this bike reqiure alot of serious work. Or if you treat it right, will it last for ever.

What is its durability. If you were to beat it for hours at a time, would it come out roaring, or would it limp out of the trails?

I am seriously considering this bike, and when i get a bike i want it to last a few years.

The first year was 2005, there haven't been any changes to the bike besides bold new graphics.

-Some eat valves, most don't

-Some toast trannys, most don't

Its all in how you treat the bike. The first "issue" has to do with riding style and proper (inproper) air filter maintenence and the second one has to do with running only the factory specified amount of oil in the tranny. Basically if you run a full quart of oil in the tranny its supposed to alieviate the transmission deal.

Everyone and their mom has one :applause:

Seriously I was out riding one time and there was a teen on a 250x and his mom was riding a 450x...she was a big girl.

ahh thats right, i forgot they started in 2005.

good catch there. uhhh, the valve thing. that seems to be the infamous problem with CRF's of any sort. why? has it been fixed, is there a way to prevent it? what causes it?

since i will be dropping my own hard earned cash on the bike i will take care of it like its my baby.

Doomster just do it.

I think most of the guys that had problems treated the X like an XR.

If you look after it it will look after you.

Doomster just do it.

Well said!!

I have well over 3000 hard desert miles on my 06 x and have not had any problems yet. I expect to get at least 3000 more before I need any work. I am pushing 120 hours on my bike. I treat my bike very well change oils and air filter frequently, use a quality synthetic oil, check valves, and this bike will last.

I had a xr with over 20,000 miles on it and had to do motor work twice(first time was for a 440 kit). Just do it and you will never stop smiling!!!! :applause:

Doomster just do it.

what do you mean treated it like an XR?

oh and besides local shops, do you know of any places for good deals on a new, or close to new 2006 or 2007?

so far the best deal in my area are as follows:

2006 CRF450X $5,499 MUST ORDER

2007 CRF450X $6,199 IN STOCK

what do you mean treated it like an XR?QUOTE]

"Treated like and XR": means

- change the oil when you feel like it

- leave it idleing forever if you want

- Valves last a long time, and eventually wear out

- A dirty air cleaner will not do immediate damage to the motor (so it seems)

- Treat it like crap and it doesn't seem to make much difference

" Riding an XR" means:

- slow reving, top heavy, crappy powerband, and slow

- No matter how much money you throw at it, it is still a trail bike

- Cannot be 'flicked' around

- Marginal handling

- Lackluster experience riding

" Treating like an X": means

- It has the highest HP to displacement ratio around, and you must respect it's race motor roots: keep the air and oil clean as possible (just normal maintence is all you need, just do it regular)

- Don't flog the motor endlessly just because you can: it will fatigue early.

Besides, it isn't necessary to go fast.

- You can tune the bike and motor in so many different ways to suit your desires: more than ANY other motorcyle I have encountered, period.

"Riding an X: means

- The most fun available right out of the box of any dirt bike (not mx)

- Amazingly versatile motor that you can't help falling in love with

- Going faster than you thought was possible, with much less effort.

- Riding all kinds of terrain with no stress!

- Just plain funner than the others. That is the main reason to own one. So what if the valves can be abused easier than other brands can. Don't abuse them and there won't be a problem!

So there

good looking out krannie. . . unless something better comes out between now and mid summer, which i doubt, i will go with this bike. I have decided a quad is fun, but more boring then a bike would be.

thank you for all the help guys, this group is by far the most friendly and helpfull.

Ditto to Kranni's remarks. 450X is made to be flogged and if the valves zero earlier than you think they should have it's because you had too much fun. 450X motors have enough power to hurt themselves and that's why the durability comparisons to XRs, for example, are not realistic. I get to take a ride on a brand new top end in a couple of days. If this one lasts as long as the OEM did I'll be happy......very happy.

good looking out krannie. . . unless something better comes out between now and mid summer, which i doubt, i will go with this bike. I have decided a quad is fun, but more boring then a bike would be.

thank you for all the help guys, this group is by far the most friendly and helpfull.

ARRRRGH! THE Q WORD! RUN AWAAAAY!

lol, good one krannie. way to keep it on the light side.

i am the kind of guy that likes all motor sports. anything with a motor ment to go fast and on land, air and water, i like it.

I get to take a ride on a brand new top end in a couple of days. If this one lasts as long as the OEM did I'll be happy......very happy.

How many miles did you put on it?

188 hours including 20 race hours. That's between 3700 and 5640 miles if average speeds were between 20 and 30 mph. Could have gotten more out of the top end but decided to rebuild not shim. Very tough motor.

Ditto to Kranni's remarks. 450X is made to be flogged and if the valves zero earlier than you think they should have it's because you had too much fun. 450X motors have enough power to hurt themselves and that's why the durability comparisons to XRs, for example, are not realistic. I get to take a ride on a brand new top end in a couple of days. If this one lasts as long as the OEM did I'll be happy......very happy.

Too much fun?:applause: Is there such a thing, especially when riding an X:confused:

seems like alot of you guys are west coast with the desert. is this bike going to be to much in the woods and for something like a GNCC?

seems like alot of you guys are west coast with the desert. is this bike going to be to much in the woods and for something like a GNCC?

I don't know too much about GNCC. A good way to answer your question would be to see what bikes are winning the events you plan on running. :applause:

i dont plan to run anything, i just figured using GNCC as an example of the type of riding would be best to describe my area. its alot of quad trails through woods mud hills and gravel pits.

is the 450X to much for the woods?