Sign in to follow this  

2 Stroke Off Idle Perfection?

Is it possible to get a 2 stroke jetted smoothly just off idle at low RPM? Under low load. Like a 4 stroke? I've tried a few combinations of needles, mains, and pilots now on my kx250. Runs great. Rich or lean though, nothing seems to effect the slight spuddering at the first tiny crack of the throttle. Just curious. Can it be done?

Thanks Eddie.

In East Tennessee, we ride ugly, ugly, wet trails and spend the majority of time in survival mode- 1/4 throttle or less. Jetting has been a challange. You really need a throw away bike to ride here..

Depends on what you want the bike to do. You can make a significant improvement in your steady state low rpm performance, but it won't be cheap or easy and it will affect other areas of performance. It wouldn't be ideal, since your strating off with a KX engine that isn't really designed for such use, but a significant improvement can be made if all you really want to do is set it up strictly for those tight slow speed trails.

Throw away your stock, what is it, a 38mm carb? get a carb more like a 33mm PWK or even a 30mm PE. If I recall correctly, my old RL250 even had a PWK28 on it and I know a friends GasGas280 had a 28mm D-O on it. Thes 2-stroke trials bike could just thump along just above idel without sputtering. I wouldn't expect the KX to do that for other reasons, but going to a smaller carb, a much much smaller carb will make a noticable difference in you off idle/low speed lugging it performance. May have to do some work on the manifold for mounting one. It also will have a notable effect on you power and high-speed performance. Depends what you want, but basically you can't turn an MX engine into a slow speed trials-type engine. The much smaller carb will help, but your trying to get that engine to operate in a manner in which it wasn't tuned to do.