Sign in to follow this  

front brake

this weekend during my race i went over the bars and lost my front brakes for the rest of the race :eek: , the next day they worked but not very good, i disconected the brake line and cleaned around it to see if it would leak and it didnt, i put new fluid in it and they work but i can pull the lever in all the way to the grip effortlessly, does anyone know how to fix this :applause: ? thanks alot

Sounds like you have air in the line. Try bleeding the brakes.

yea i tried that but i dont think i did it right, can u please tell me how to bleed them?

loosen the nut, squeeze the lever, tighten the nut, take pressure off the lever, loosen the nut, squeeze the lever, tighten the nut, take pressure off the lever...you get it...after a bit you'll need to add some more brake fluid. I will take a wrench and tap the brake line. (who knows if this helps any? maybe?:applause: )

correct me if I am wrong, anyone:bonk:

loosen the nut, squeeze the lever, tighten the nut, take pressure off the lever, loosen the nut, squeeze the lever, tighten the nut, take pressure off the lever...you get it...after a bit you'll need to add some more brake fluid. I will take a wrench and tap the brake line. (who knows if this helps any? maybe?:applause: )

correct me if I am wrong, anyone:bonk:

In the brake fluid, just like anywhere else air goes up to the highest point and will stop there. So what I usually do is fill a syringe full of brake fluid and inject it into the open bleeder valve on the caliper. This carries the air upwards into the master cylinder. This is called back bleeding the brakes. It helps if you remove the bleeder screw & put a couple of turns of teflon tape around the threads, so you don't get any more air into it thru the threads. It doesn't take very much air in the system to give you mushy brakes. If you can pull the lever to the bar, then you probably have 1 or 2 small air bubbles in there somewhere.

If the back bleeding with the brakes still attached to the bike doesn't work, then I take the caliper off the bike & let it hang down to the floor. I have a small piece of strap steel I put between the brake pads so they don't touch each other (makes it easier to put back on the rotor later). Then I'll take the master cylinder off & let it sit above the handlebars. This makes sure there isn't a high spot in the brake line, 'cause the air will get trapped there. Make sure you can get the brake line as straight up as you can.

Tapping on the line will help the air bubbles go upwards into the master cylinder, so I usually leave it like that for a day, and will tap on the line from the bottom to the top with a screwdriver to help the air move upwards. Then I finish it off by back bleeding it and that should push the air up into the reservoir on the master cyl. If you squeeze the lever before you back bleed it you can push the air back down again, so you have to be very deliberate when you are doing this.

this weekend during my race i went over the bars and lost my front brakes for the rest of the race :applause: , the next day they worked but not very good

what's weird is HOW your brakes went bad. Crash and then NO brakes.

It COULD be that NO amount of bleeding is going to help you, if you tore your brake line, or broke something else. Have you looked at what caused the initial loss of brakes? Do you see any damage to the brakes anywhere?

just throwing it out there