Sign in to follow this  

Cracked Silencer Bracket Weld

Anyone else even have this problem? I bought this 2002 WR250 used 5 months ago and the weld is 1/3 cracked open. Bolt was slightly loose so fatigued the weld. Now how to fix? It's either weld crack on frame or a small plate drilled on both sides of weld to support? Sorry for the blurry pics but weld is cracked open right side of it in photo.

pict0002.jpg

pict0001.jpg

I broke mine on my '00 WR250 after about 9000 miles. Friend has a truck body shop and his welder TIG welded it right on the bike.

Norman

Make certain your pipe mounts are in good shape. The silencer/muffler mounts on your aluminum subframe are subject to vertical or tensile loading not torsional (unlike the rubber sandwich mounts between the pipe and frame which are designed to allow some axial movement as well as dampen harmonics). It appears that somewhere during your machines lifetime, forces beyond design criteria were exerted on that tab fracturing it.

My front one broke on my 06 after 10 hr, had it welded back on I don't know what caused it.

Looks like the fender is cracked at the mounting bolt as well. Maybe the bike was looped. Anyway Its alluminum so any Mig/Tig setup should be able to do it.

Also you are running the stock pipe which weighs a ton, that has to put stress on the mounts as well.

Hey, is your 2002 a 5 or 6 speed?

Mine broke on my 2006wr125.

$60 tig weld and you can't even see where it broke.

Also you are running the stock pipe which weighs a ton, that has to put stress on the mounts as well.

YES IT IS!

Hey, is your 2002 a 5 or 6 speed?

5 SPEED

I hope it does not happen to my 01 that would make me:mad:

I did not htink the stock muffler was Forest service approved:confused:

Two of our three race bikes have broken. The 06 TC 510 and 07 TC 450. I assumed it came from racing them? The exhaust can rubs on both bikes when running 120x18" size tires. They both needed to be bent out a tiny bit so as not to rub.:applause:

Two of our three race bikes have broken. The 06 TC 510 and 07 TC 450. I assumed it came from racing them? The exhaust can rubs on both bikes when running 120x18" size tires. They both needed to be bent out a tiny bit so as not to rub.:applause:

WOW...makes sense now!...look at the tire mark on the silencer in the photo...this is activated by tire contact! Wonder how much vibration stresses add to the loading.

My 06 has cracked and been repaired twice and I've become so frustrated with mine cracking off that I not even bother getting it welded. I just put a clamp around the exhaust and subframe and works just fine. I'll get it properly repaired when the race season ends.

I looked at my silencer and I can also that the stock big fatty rear tire has also been rubbing on the tire side (inner) of it as well, so I'm sure that's source of it. Unfortunately I bough a new metzler rear with with the same tire diameter, so it looks like it'll happen again...I'll try to bend that tab out when it's repaired next time.

Just fixed it with j.b weld . the test ride was today . didnt move an inch , no cracks , etc ..i had it welded 2wice 1st by a local guy who hacked it up , then i had it sent out and it started to crack below the 2 previous welds . , it isnt the prettiest looking job but i dropped it twice today in a rock garden and it didnt budge , im hoping it holds forever :thumbsup: ,

wr250012.jpg

heres my j.b. weld job , i actually cut a piece of flat bar and " welded" it in there for extra strength ...

IM001171.jpg

IM001173.jpg

I hope it does not happen to my 01 that would make me:mad:

I did not htink the stock muffler was Forest service approved:confused:

Does the 2006 can have a spark arrester ? and if it does is it a u.s.f.s. approved , does it have to be u.s.f.s. approved , or will an off the shelf spark screen keep it legal ??

My '06 WR 250 has a spark arrester. It resembles the FMF Turbine Core. No it isn't U.S.F.S approved. Its not even stamped U.S.F.S.

I noticed the tire was rubbing the inside of the silencer after one ride on my WR250. I slightly tweaked the mounts out and it eliminated the rub and I have had no problem with the mounts cracking. FWIW

Walt

vinman513,

You know, I was thinking about this last week -- had some JB weld hanging on the workbench shelf, and I wondered whether it would be strong enough to hold it togther, and you just confirmed my suspicion. Thanks for posting your pics!

:thumbsup: glad i could help , the key to j.b is in the prep , i lightly wire wheeled the brackett and cleaned the area with break cleaner , i then layered the stuff on there in 3 seperate coats.

Tried the JB weld route, didn't hold for long. 20 bucks and it is good as new again, i just used a sheet metal place we use for some fab work so i got a really good deal. My just broke from bending it too many times.