Sign in to follow this  

77 XL75 restore, first project bike

First post, hi everyone! My name is Elliott and I live in San Marcos, Texas (Central, between Austin and San Antonio).

On my way to Tampa, Fl for spring break (16 hour drive!) my GF and I stopped by her parents' place in Houston for the day and in the corner of their garage, I spot a 77 XL75. Mechanically it runs great, cosmetically not so good. Paint is faded orange, rust on the gas tank with a SMALL leak, no brakes lights, no turn signals, no speedo, no horn, no headlight.

We drove that thing all day, took it over road and I fell in love with it. Her father is looking to get rid of it as they will be moving from Houston to Central Texas. I fell in love with the things and desperately want it. He got it for free from a former neighbor as he didnt want his kids to be getting into trouble with it.

So first question, How much should I offer him? He is a bit of a miser and I dont know if he will actually just give it to me. Mechanically it is sound. No a squeak or leak (other than the small, easily patched, gas leak). I'm limited on money as im a college student.

Secondly, how hard will it be to locate the above mentioned missing parts?

Third, I'd like to be able to cruise around town with it, what is the top speed of these bikes, with no speedo, ive not been able to clock it.

Fourth, being 200+ lbs, I bind the coils on the suspension pretty fast. Would these be a good alternative? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-SL70-XL70-XR75-XL75-SHOCKS-SHOCK-SL-XR-XL-70-75_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQitemZ170089055236QQrdZ1

I really appreciate the help, I'll put some pics up later

Those are fun little bikes. Half the moto guys in my hometown owned one as soon as they had their license and a decent job. Perfect for blasting down to McDonalds or to the girlfriend's house.

Everyone put longer shocks on them (back then there were plenty of stock Suzuki TM, Honda Elsinore, and Arnacos & Koni shocks and so forth laying around). Looks like 11" shocks were standard, most guys put 13"s on. Yes the chain had to run fairly loose - at that time there were universal type chain tensioners available or you could make one in shop class.

Offer your old guy $100 and stress the fact that you're lightening his load for when he moves. And try not to drool while talking to him :applause:

The brake and signal lights were standard Honda parts over several models and years. For your purposes anything from an SL70 on up ought to work out for you.

Top speed won't be huge, especially with a good-sized adult on board. They'll do 40-45 but it takes a while to get there. Different gearing may make a little difference.

Have fun!

Not more than $100. Ditto the previous advice about how you're "helping him" by taking it off his hands.

This is not really a street bike and you may not be able to get it licensed. Parts are available. Fun little bikes.

one other question, what other motors are a direct/easily swapped into the xl? 80/100/125/150/175cc etc? Not looking to go drag racing or anything, but would maybe like a little more power. Probably figure I can find a used engine cheaper than doing a bore/stroke to it with powroll's kits.

Ignore the helmet, I wont be wearing that thing in public :applause:

Trying to kick start it back to life

springbreak07030mm3.jpg

Driving in sand is HARD!

springbreak07029mf1.jpg

Loading it up with the GF's dad.

springbreak07009lw2.jpg

It's will make a nice first project, looks like most of it is there. Remember you will spend more to restore it than you will ever get for it!

i understand that, i'll probably keep it for a long time. This isnt meant for a restore and turn project.

If you're smart, you will restore it to as-new condition, in terms of looks. No stupid spray-can paint jobs, motor transplants, other Frankenstein mods.

Just slowly acquire the parts to make it look like it did when it was new, and it will be not only worth quite a bit more, but attract more attention. People will come up to you to say: "Had one just like that back when I was [insert age here]."

Do it that way and it'll still be fun to ride AND you'll get your money back out of it (some of it; maybe all of it) when you need to sell it.