Sign in to follow this  

Advice on hard starting and adding extras.

Well, with great advice from many members, I took the plunge and bought a new leftover 2003 XR 400. I am very happy that I did - and so are my sons. Anyway, with a whopping 16 miles on it, this bike is bit*# to start. I guess I got used to the 2 stroke world for too long. My right leg feels twice the size of my left! I searched the forums for answers and was hoping to revisit this again with some more ideas. I just can't imagine the valves are that tight from the factory. Suggestions from anyone......

Also - any advice on "must" add-ons (gearcase & disc protection, better air filter, simple mods). I am only trail riding now and thrilled to do it again. The days of blasting through the woods like a maniac with reckless abandon are over! Wife, kids, mortgage has that affect on us!

This is a great site and greatly appreciate some guidance.

I just pulled the snorkel and installed a high flow baffle piece this winter and found my bike was a lot harder to start than usual. Well, couldn't get it started at all...

Then I remembered something about turning the idle up half a turn, so I did that and the bike started up no problem at all, once she warmed up I turned the idle down and she ran fine.

Other than that, pull the decomp and kick it through a few good times to "prime" it up. Kick it over until it gets stiff then a good solid full kick with no gas.

Search through the thread labeled Gordon's Mods http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37645

I, as have many others, made some or all of these suggested modifications and they are very worthwhile.

My 2004 XR4 was a pain to start until I removed the snorkel, replaced the air filter with a UNI, drilled the exhaust baffle, and re-jetted the carburetor. Bike starts much easier now and the power increase was noticeable.

I played with the idle stop screw put a new spark plug in cleaned the air filter and messed with the pilot idle screw on the front of the carb and got mine to start really well consistantly.

It usually starts up on the first kick in 35 degree weather with the choke full on. In 50 degree weather it will start right up with no choke at all first kick. I usually wind the kick start to get the piston top dead center and give it one good kick and it starts right up. My two stroke is a pain to start....

Mine is basically stock. I did a couple of the gordon mods. I ground the welds in the header and did the three holes in the silencer. I put brush guards on. I dropped a tooth in the front the helps a lot on tight trails (little more low and mid power).