Sign in to follow this  

Oil Formulation Differences

What is the difference in the oil formulation (from the same manufacturer) between pre-mix & injector? Is it okay to premix the injector formula? Example- Maxima Super M

Thats a great question. I can repeat things I have sheard people say, but I have no idea as to how valid they are.

Supposedly the injector oil was blended for a long , stable life. The pre mix oil is made for performance without so much emphasis on long term stability. Something like the difference between a two stroke 250 and a boat motor.

I bet the stuff is the same, or similar, but have never had the guts to try it long term.

My dad was the worlds expert on cheap two stroke oil. Somehow he always had a source for the cheapest, most awful smelling stuff in the world. We never had any more bike problems than anyone else.......

I guess I kinda answered my own question. I went to Maximausa website & read their info on it. They say it is fine to premix the injector formula. Looking at the technical data they give it appears to be somewhat thinner & its flashpoint and firepoint are lower than the premix formula.Just another one of my wondering thoughts!

There is no real difference in the oil itself. The so called injector oil just has an additive package in it to keep the oil from jelling in the storage tank. What would happen back in the old days when oil injection first came out (especially with marine engines) was the oil that stayed in the oil tank for long periods of time, and even in the containers themselves, the oil would clump up and clog the oil filter screen in the bottom of the oil tank. When this happened oil couldn't get out of the tank and the engine would go boom.

the additive package just keeps the oil liguid in all conditions, humidity, temps, pressure, etc. And of-course storage for long periods of time.

....Looking at the technical data they give it appears to be somewhat thinner & its flashpoint and firepoint are lower than the premix formula...

this is also so far what i know of about the difference between the two... used castrol power1 2T and repsol moto competicion 2T (both premix and injection-types) before shifting to motul 800 2T (premix only), and this is the "physical" difference one could observe between them, apart from the color....

I wonder why the cost is so much different.....Never-mind. Its because they can. I should have known!