Sign in to follow this  

Help! Heat wave is killing our trip...

We had planned a trip a long time ago to superstition this weekend, but nobody expected this heat wave here in socal. Anyway, I'm looking for a place to ride in Cali. that allows ditbikes and quads, has camping where you're not right on top of each other, and isn't going to be 95 degrees. I'm drawing a blank, hope you guys can help! :applause:

::Runs to the window and looks outside::

I still see snow, stop complaining. I would love a heat wave about now.

just go, you would rather heat than extreme cold

It is usually about 10 degrees cooler in the high desert than the low desert. Johnson valley would be a good place. The temps are only supposed to be in the 80's.

Agreed

Go up to mammoth, there are plenty of trails and camping between mammoth and june lake. (red and green sticker, bike and quads)

We rode Ocotillo Wells last weekend (which was hotter than this weekend will be) and it wasn't that bad at all. When riding the air flow keeps you cool, and when not riding just stay in the shade.

Try going to "the Cove" at Ocotillo and get one of the sites with a tree and ramada.

Go up to mammoth, there are plenty of trails and camping between mammoth and june lake. (red and green sticker, bike and quads)

Uhhhhh......NO. Mammoth is closed for the season. They won't re-open until teh snow on the trails is gone. Last year, they opened the campgrounds the 2nd weekend of June. I talked to a ranger not even 10 days ago and they are hoping fo a Memorial Day opening this year so far.

We rode Ocotillo Wells last weekend (which was hotter than this weekend will be) and it wasn't that bad at all. When riding the air flow keeps you cool, and when not riding just stay in the shade.

I agree...we were at OW as well and it wasn't too bad. We had a toy hauler with A/C but stayed out under the easy-up and were just fine. Riding always keeps you cool anyway so JUST RIDE!!!! :applause:

Uhhhhh......NO. Mammoth is closed for the season. They won't re-open until teh snow on the trails is gone. Last year, they opened the campgrounds the 2nd weekend of June. I talked to a ranger not even 10 days ago and they are hoping fo a Memorial Day opening this year so far.

Oh ya, forgot about that little snow problem, my bad. I usually head up their later in the summer months when it's cool, but the snow is long gone.

Since mammoth is out of the option, I would just have to say cowboy up and ride were ever. Two years ago I went riding out at Razor road and it was 130, no joke; I also went to the track last weekend and am going this weekend, it's not that bad.

Sorry, I'm expecting 4-8 inches tomorrow and can't offer you any help. Guess we all have our problems!

uh yea that sounds like a real PIA. I got to ride for a few minutes Tuesday after work, first time since.... last fall. I'll take your heat over our snow any day.

Ride a few extra miles for us poor schmucks that get to watch the snow melt before we can use our bikes.

I agree. it was cold as hell here this morning.

Yeah, we had two beautiful t-shirt days of 8 above freezing (celcius). :applause:

But now it's f:foul:ing cold out again and about to snow. Although, I shouldn't be bitching away here, Saskatchewan still has a pile of snow eh? I can see parts of my lawn, I'm laughin I guess.

it should be about the same temp as OC Wells. i went there last weekend and it was fine. just get some shade, if you have any off road capabilities go out a little ways from camps(if they are busy) and find a tree/shrub to get some shade. we found a sweet tree area with some little sand hills and there was some shade, and i good place to stay. it also might be worth invasting in an EZ-Up style canopy.

just go, ride, and have fun :applause:

dont forget plenty of water and sunscreen.

edit, sounds like we might live near each other (San Diego?), we should try to go riding sometime, get a huge group.

Well, thanks for all the input, i guess. Anyway, I forgot about Johnson valley, that place would have been perfect. Actually, because it was so hot we packed up the wakeboarding boat and took off to visit fam. and wakeboard Lake Mead. Water was glass and only a few other boats out, :bonk: