Gearing Question

I really like my gearing on my 2006 YZ450F. The only problem I have with it is I want better top speed; however, I don't want to just swap sprokets. I literally ride tight woods one weekend to high speed desert the next. I am in 5th quite a bit in the desert, and I hate reving the piss out of it to cruise at a decent speed.

The wide ratio tranny is cool, but I like the close ratio gears. Is it possible to swap out 5th gear for a WR 5th? Or do you have to swap out all 5 gears and completely change it from close ratio 5 to a wide ratio 5?

From info I have from another TT'r, the '07 WR450 trans is interchangeable with the '06+ YZ450. I believe you could do what you're talking about, because many of the components are the same. If the counter shaft and shift fork 3 for the WR is the same, it should work, but the one thing you'll need to check for sure is the fit of the locking lugs on the YZ 3rd pinion into the slots in the WR 5th.

That would be a pretty fat step up from 4th to 5th, though.

I think it would be cheaper to change your front sprocket when you need speed. I run a 15/44 on my 400 and it works bitchen out in the desert, in fact with that gearing, I'm still looking for a sixth gear.
i would say do the sprocket change also. im in the same boat i think im just going to go one tooth bigger on the front, cheap and pretty easy to change.

I personally think a close ratio 4 and tall 5th would be awesome. I'll give my mechanic a call and see what he thinks price-wise.