Sign in to follow this  

D/s License Revoked By Dmv

Has anybody received a letter from dmv stating to turn in your license plate

if so is the bike green or red sticker

No.

And I have seen exactly 1 letter posted.

No....

I probably saw the same exact letter because it was the only letter I saw.

Agreed - It seems the same letter has been posted multiple times.

There may have been others posted but have not seen them.

The State like money as does any government agency and turning in your registration means they will be getting less and that is an unnatural state for the State. They always want more money.

Real world!

My next door neighbor just got the letter from the Calif. DMV stating that his 2004 CRF250X is not legal to be driven on the street.

He has the Baja kit, but when bought new the dealer registered as a RT classification (street legal).

Never been in trouble with it, never pulled over. Just got the letter 30 days ago!

Just FYI - RT is Road and Track and is a problem (or flag) with you know who. :applause:

I just received the same letter from the DMV last night. I purchased the bike (an 04 CRF250) with plates on it. I had no trouble registering it, but here I am about 2 months later and the send me the "Dear John" letter. I'm really bummed out. I bought this bike for my son so we could DS together.

I'm afraid to open the mailbox now. Are they going to want the plate off my KTM next???

I just received the same letter from the DMV last night. I purchased the bike (an 04 CRF250) with plates on it. I had no trouble registering it, but here I am about 2 months later and the send me the "Dear John" letter. I'm really bummed out. I bought this bike for my son so we could DS together.

I'm afraid to open the mailbox now. Are they going to want the plate off my KTM next???

Man that blows.

Can we get a little bit of clarification. Did you buy the bike from another owner who had converted the bike? Do you know if it was converted before the Feb 2004 cutoff? Do you know if the dealer converted the bike or if the previous owner did it?

Is the bike a CRF250R or a CRF250X? The R is red sticker and it is a lot easier for them to identify.

If your KTM was plated after Feb 2004 then expect another letter sooner or later.

The bike was plated after the cutoff by the previous owner...just as I did with my KTM. :bonk: It's the "X" model (green sticker). I sure hope this was just a random snag. Maybe it was the transfer of ownership that triggered it???:naughty:

Maybe it's time to fork out the cash for a new factory plated EXC!:D Hopefully I can wait till the '08s come out.

Man that blows.

Can we get a little bit of clarification. Did you buy the bike from another owner who had converted the bike? Do you know if it was converted before the Feb 2004 cutoff? Do you know if the dealer converted the bike or if the previous owner did it?

Is the bike a CRF250R or a CRF250X? The R is red sticker and it is a lot easier for them to identify.

If your KTM was plated after Feb 2004 then expect another letter sooner or later.

I'd also be curios to know if when plated in Ca by previous owner- if it was a Ca offroad bike or was plated in another state and then transfered to Ca.

also, did you get the new pink slip in the mail for the plate? or did you get the letter instead? :bonk:

You might not want to wait. California is going to tighter emissions standards in 2008 and the current KTM and Husky models do not quite meet the tighter standards. They have to reduce hydrocarbon tail pipe emissions and that may be hard for them to accomplish. Green sticker emissions get tightened next year too, but it is only the evaporative portion. Expect to see larger charcoal canisters and different type fuel tanks on green sticker bikes. The rest of the US will move to these tighter standards in 2010.

It was a CA Green Sticker bike, converted and registered as a "street bike". The green sticker was removed. The transfer of ownership went smooth, and I had a pink in the mailbox about a week later.

Here's part of the letter copied and pasted (I don't know how to post a file):

Dear Customer:

This letter is written with reference to the above-described motorcycle.

Based on an investigation conducted by the California Air Resources Board and subsequent information forwarded to the Department of Motor Vehicles, this motorcycle was determined to have been manufactured with an emission system that is only legal for off-highway use.

The California Air Resources Board established emission regulations for on-highway motorcycles beginning with-the 1978-yearmodels. The Department of Motor Vehicles began enforcing these regulations on January 1,2004. In order to be registered for street use, your motorcycle must have an

emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use. If your motorcycle has a label indicating it is certified for off-road use, it is not certified for street registration.

The California Certificate of Title issued on (02-11-07') and street registration including license plates, registration card and stickers (2007) are cancelled pursuant to California Vehicle Code Section 8800 (a), which states in part, "the department may suspend, cancel, or revoke the registration of a vehicle or registration card, or license plate, when the department is satisfied that the registration or the certificate, card, plate or permit was fraudulently obtained or erroneously issued."

I guess this means they could ask for the plates on my truck too... if THEY made an error when they issued them.

Bummer!

I'd sure like to know what is used as a red flag. Offroad - on original title or ? :bonk:

Bummer!

I'd sure like to know what is used as a red flag. Offroad - on original title or ? :bonk:

I'd guess that in this case it was the transfer of ownership.

How does the DMV know if the bike was converted after the cutoff date, there must be something that tips them off?

So far its been dealer plated bikes and bikes that have had some registration change (lienholder removed or change of ownership). I just hope they dont take my "friends" plate until I , I mean my "friend" can afford a new Husky.