Pics of a Unabiker Radiator Guard on an 07

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I just installed mine last night and I while I think they are probably the best guards money can buy for the purpose of protecting your radiators I do have two issues -

1. In the istallation step where it instructs you to start tightening everything up, the inner bolts on the front support rods are impossible to access at this point. I would instruct installers to tighten these bolts prior to slipping the guards over the radiators versus telling us to leave them loose.

2. The fit of the shrouds is not good after installation. A longer bolt needs to be provided for the shroud to guard mount and the location is off a little.

At the end of the instruction sheet it asks to provide comments to Brian and I think I will. I am happy over all I just hope I never have to take those things apart on the trail for any reason...

I found the same problem. Thanks for the tips about getting it all tight, as it would be impossible at a later stage. The shroud bolt needs to be longer (at least 30mm). The nylon spacer should also be thicker for the shrouds to fit better. One other tip, if your radiators are slightly tweakes (I had a slightly bent lower shroud tab), straighten it all up before tightening, or you'll have a nightmare lining things up to get the bolt in. Better still, fit them before you get the chance to do any damage.

I found the same problem. Thanks for the tips about getting it all tight, as it would be impossible at a later stage. The shroud bolt needs to be longer (at least 30mm). The nylon spacer should also be thicker for the shrouds to fit better. One other tip, if your radiators are slightly tweakes (I had a slightly bent lower shroud tab), straighten it all up before tightening, or you'll have a nightmare lining things up to get the bolt in. Better still, fit them before you get the chance to do any damage.

It gets worse if you go to a larger tank.... still an awesome guard though. When I mounted my IMS 3.1 gallon tank, the shroud to guard gap got even bigger so I went down and got everything off the shelf at my local hardware store, (bolts, nuts, and nylon spacers) to make the fit better and it worked great.

First report of tweak with the guards on however - Racing a harescrambles 2 weeks ago I went down on the left side, very gently, in fact I would have not expected any damage even with out guards :excuseme: any way my left side rad was pushed back at the bottom.... a little tweaked at the frame mounts :banghead: any way, nothing that could not be straightened out again and the shroud popped back into shape so all is still good:thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

sxp, if your still around. where did you get the switch for your lights. does your hot start lever hit it. i was looking to do the same thing with one from a yzf atv. i was going to try and connect the ignition switch to the kill switch though, do you think that would work. thanks for any info.

sxp, if your still around. where did you get the switch for your lights. does your hot start lever hit it. i was looking to do the same thing with one from a yzf atv. i was going to try and connect the ignition switch to the kill switch though, do you think that would work. thanks for any info.

This is off topic, but here goes: Switch was purchased from http://www.peakmoto.com/servlet/Detail?no=600. I have wired up the horn button as the kill switch. I see no reason why you couldn't use the horn button for the ignition button, however, it (the horn button) is kinda flimsy and sloppy.

It looks like this in relation to the hot start lever:

IMG_0243.jpg

The switch acts as a stop to the lever but not before the hot start circuit has been opened:

IMG_0241.jpg

I originally had the switch below and had to raise the hot start with spacers to clear the switch. Too big and too ugly. Settled on the above set up. This switch is for sale for $50 shipped. PM me if anyone is interested.

DSC07712.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering why everyone was talking about radiator guards,:eek: I never used to use them on a smoker... After my first couple of rides on the big 450 I can see why.

I just installed the raw color set, absolute precision. (except for my bent rad's ? )

If I bend or break these, i'm going to have other issues :applause:

YES :eek:

I put a set of the Unabikers on with the IMS tank on my '07. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if the lower shroud bolts had been just a fuzz longer! I went out and bought a couple of 30 mm bolts to make life easier. Not sure if that was just me or if everyone runs into that. Didn't you end up doing something similar?

I put a set of the Unabikers on with the IMS tank on my '07. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings if the lower shroud bolts had been just a fuzz longer! I went out and bought a couple of 30 mm bolts to make life easier. Not sure if that was just me or if everyone runs into that. Didn't you end up doing something similar?

Yes... I did get longer bolts and nylon spacers. I forgot:bonk: