Sign in to follow this  

Trail Riding Crossroads DRX/KDX?

Hello All,

I have a 2000 DRZ that I use for street riding. The bike is completely stock right down to the the trail wings. I live in Illinois, so there are quite a few trail riding options within 1-4 hours. The bike is in mint condition, as you would expect since it hasn't seen the dirt yet.

I want to start riding the trails. I will probably start with places that aren't very challenging. I am assuming all it would take to make the DRZ trail worthy would be a set of DOT knobbies. Correct?

I am also contemplating buying a used KDX for this type of riding. I am 5' 10" and 165 pounds. I think a KDX might be more appropriate for the trails. The DRZ feels a little big for woods riding. Plus, I am assuming the knobbies will reduce the streetability of the DRZ.

What are your thoughts? I do have a trailer and tow vehicle.

Thanks

Well what do you know.... I am thinking the same thing, use my Z for the enduro races and the kdx200 for messing around with the family in the bush... I think is sounds like a great idea. Dont underestimate the DRZ's ability to handle the tight stuff on the trails its a lot better bike than other people will have you believe. :applause:

Well my dilemna is this....

Knobbies on the street aren't the best solution

The DR feels big on the street, and I don't know if I will be able to handle it on the trails.

The KDX sounds like a good idea(keeping the DR for street use), except it costs more than a set of knobbies for my DRZ

Thanks again

I have both a DRZ and a KDX. The DRZ is good for pretty much all types of riding, I got the KDX for really tight woods and stuff like that.

Besides DOT knobbies for the DRZ, you should also look into protection of side cases and radiators.

i have ridden my drz offroad quite a bit, its a fun bike, but after taking a kdx 220 in the woods, you can really feel the difference. the drz 400 is a good all around bike, but take it in the tight stuff and you will feel the weight, and how cumbersome it can be. drop it a few times and you willl understand.

the kdx 220 was like a jack rabbit compared to the drz, it was nimble, and rode well in just about every condition, i could throw at it. this is more a specialized offroad bike. i found its power delivery like a big thumper, lots of bottom end grunt. its center of gravity, i found was way lower, and it made you feel more confident in the tighter , messy stuff.

in the end it all comes down to what you want to do. try one out and see if thats the ticket. i won't sell my drz as its a good bike, and i don't always go into the real tight stuff. also i would get shunned by the drz gods in this forum. but if i had the space it would def be a kdx220 parked beside the others in the garage:thumbsup:

Well, the decision has been made.

I purchased a new leftover 06 KDX 200. Hard bike to find in good shape used. I paid $3350 out the door, so I am happy....and I can keep my DRZ in good shape for commuting!

Hey Kevin,

It looks like your 4stroke sees more action that your KDX!!!

I am hoping to do the exact opposite with my DRZ

Bill

Hey Kevin,

It looks like your 4stroke sees more action that your KDX!!!

I am hoping to do the exact opposite with my DRZ

Bill

That was a pic when it was new and just unloaded off the trailer. :applause:

Bottom line is....I just LOVE dirt bikes....all kinds. Wish I could own one of everthing!!!

Love the kdx, I thought the stooped building them when the kx came out? didnt realize you could get one that new........ Cool