Hey guys ive seen alot of stabilizer questions lately and since we currently own 3 different stabilizers, I figured I would try and help out TT a little with a comparison between the three...

IF THERE IS ANYTHING I SHOULD ADD, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO WRITE A REVIEW ON ANOTHER STABILIZER OR PERHAPS THE ONE OF THE SAME STABILIZERS, I WOULD BE HAPPY TO EDIT IT IN TO MY POST!

Stabilizers in test:

>GPR V1 mounted on top of the bars with a Fastway adjustable mount system & RG3 Gen 2 (Top and Bottom) Triple Clamps with pro tapers

>Scotts mounted on top of the bars with a scotts upper triple clamp with Renthal twinwalls (crossbar removed)

>WER mounted to front fender (no other option)

Notes:

The GPR is mounted to a 2002 Honda CR250R

The Scotts is mounted to a 2002 Yamaha YZ250

The WER is mounted to a 1999 KX250

All bikes are set up and used for off-road only

All stabilizers are in correct working order

GPR

Mounting----------------------10/10

Function----------------------40/50

Adjustiblity--------------------13/20

On the Fly Adjustments---------8/10

Price---------------------------8/10

Total--------------------------79/100

Pros:

>Easiest to adjust on the fly

>Awesome Anodized Colors

>Easy 2 bolt mounting

>You can feel it working

>Works as advertised

>Dampens back to the center

Cons:

>Not as adjustable as the SCOTTS, it has high speed and low speed dampening on one circuit

>You can feel it working, in the tight woods I feel like I am fighting it.

>Dampens back to the center

GPR1-1.jpg

GPR2.jpg

GPR3.jpg

SCOTTS

Mounting----------------------10/10

Function----------------------45/50

Adjustiblity--------------------18/20

On the Fly Adjustments---------7/10

Price--------------------------7/10

Total-------------------------87/100

Pros:

>Cool gold color

>Very adjustable, high speed on one knob and low speed on another

>Can be adjusted so that you are never fighting it

>Easy to mount

>You can’t feel it working until you need it.

>Can fit under many stock cross bars when mounted backwards

Cons:

>Not so easy to adjust on the fly, may be different wit large knob accessory

>A bit pricier than GPR yet still very reasonable.

(The YZ's a little dirty after yesterdays ride:busted:)

SCOTTS2.jpg

SCOTTS1.jpg

WER

Mounting-----------------------5/10

Function-----------------------33/50

Adjustiblity--------------------10/20

On the Fly Adjustments---------4/10

Price--------------------------9/10

Total-------------------------61/100

Pros:

>Nearly impossible to detect that its working

>Mounts out of the way, on the front fender

>Decent look

>Easy to bleed and not as many moving parts or seals as SCOTTS or GPR

>Excellent price

Cons:

>Really not sure how much it does

>Nearly impossible to adjust on the fly, (I tried and almost crashed)

>Not very easy to mount

>Have to cut hole in front number plate

WER2.jpg

WER1.jpg

EXTRA INFO/NOTES:

>Scotts can be mounted under bars as a sub mount kit for saftey

>Scotts can be mounted on the front fender, this is called a low mount kit, (like the WER)

>Scotts can be mounted backwards to fit under stock crossbars

>GPR sells a V2 Kit which mounts under the bars and is part of the bar mounts, so it can not be mounted on top of the bars.

>GPR also offers a V3 which you can adjust on the handle bars with a twist adjuster.

>WER only mounts on the fender, no other option

These are the only stabilizers that I had the resources to test, all of the stabilizers worked well although the GPR and SCOTTS were the best. I prefer the SCOTTS just slightly over the GPR. This is only my opnion, I have friends who swear by the GPR and others who wont ride without a SCOTTS.

I will be going to the sand with these bikes within the next couple of weeks and will post some info of how they perform there too.:applause:

Hope This Helps Someone!!!

All Credit goes to MX813 for this review on the EMIG Racing Stabilizer:

Thought I'd add my input on stabilizers as the one I run made by Emig Racing was not covered.

Been running the Emig stabilizer for 3 years now and absolutely love it! They make a nice product, very good service response (rebuilt 2x and got it back inside of a week!) Now that is good customer service.

Here is a pic of mine (Located Below)

They make several mx products and have some nice colors to choose from. Regarding performance, it is free to center, 13 settings that are easy to dial in while riding. No hi/lo speed settings like Scott's stabilizer, but offset that by going up a few notches if I know speeds are a bit higher. Like I said, very easy to change on the fly.

Fit and installation are spot-on. I will be going to a sub-mount soon for this (I have a fear of hitting myself on this from a previous serious accident with the cross-bar) so I can install a bar pad.

Not sure what else I can add...but this is my 2 cents.

mx813

dsc01907eg9.jpg

• Like 7

Great write-up. Might be that back to center dampening action you're fighting on the GPR. That takes some getting used to but has advantages.

• Like 1

Two ponts that I think are important is Scotts/Ohlins has indepentant High speed damping which other do not and it will also mount under the bars as an option. Good Job on the write up.

Great write-up. Might be that back to center dampening action you're fighting on the GPR. That takes some getting used to but has advantages.

Hmmm, thats a good point I will edit that in. Thanks

Two ponts that I think are important is Scotts/Ohlins has indepentant High speed damping which other do not and it will also mount under the bars as an option. Good Job on the write up.

I did not put this because GPR also makes the V2 which goes under the bar, but now that i think of it it would be a good idea to edit it in

Thanks for your input everyone!

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same for all bikes but I have a bolt-on GPR post On my 2006 YZ 250 and can interchange between Scotts and GPR dampers by simply changing out the link pin that goes with either damper. I can do this because my DH-1 bar clamps are drilled for both dampers.

I prefer the GPR post to the Scotts for the aluminum framed Yamahas because Scotts wants you to drill and tap a screw hole into the frame and the GPR is just a bolt on.

I have not run both the GPR and the Scotts back to back on the same bike as of yet in a way that I could make a determination on which one I prefer but I will post something when I compile enough information.

I'm sure that the manufacturers would not recommend mixing and matching their products but it does seem to work.

• Like 1

I don't know if it's the same for all bikes but I have a bolt-on GPR post On my 2006 YZ 250 and can interchange between Scotts and GPR dampers by simply changing out the link pin that goes with either damper. I can do this because my DH-1 bar clamps are drilled for both dampers.

I prefer the GPR post to the Scotts for the aluminum framed Yamahas because Scotts wants you to drill and tap a screw hole into the frame and the GPR is just a bolt on.

I have not run both the GPR and the Scotts back to back on the same bike as of yet in a way that I could make a determination on which one I prefer but I will post something when I compile enough information.

I'm sure that the manufacturers would not recommend mixing and matching their products but it does seem to work.

My last 85 was an RM85L which we bought from nevada and it also had the DH1 triple clamp on it for a Scotts or GPR and in my opnion i wish i could get one for each of my bikes, it is a great quality clamp set up for either damper.

A couple of my friends have aluminum framed YZs and they had to drill and tap the frame, but they said it wasnt nearly as hard as they expected.

Yep all you need to change is the pin and you can switch between either damper, as long as you have a D1H upper clamp or a Fastway stabilizer mount or F.I.T. system.

Actually its funny you say that because i remember reading on GPRs website that they recommend you run a SCOTTS post for one of their applications:eek: I thought that was kind of funny

BTW: Sweet YZ!!

• Like 1

first of all it was a good write up on steering stabalizers. im thinking of getting one when i can get the money...hopefully its as good as everyone says it is. are they good for fast desert whoops? what do yoou mean by the "back to center dampning"? does anyone know the best place to get one of these for a good price? thanks.

• Like 1

Hi I just bought a 2001 yz250, and the bike has mounts for a steering stabilizer. I cant figure out if the mounts are for a gpr or a scotts? I have applied top triple clamps with this one piece top stabilizer mount that i cant find information about anywhere:excuseme: ? Here are some pictures of my mounts to see if you guys know which one it fits, maybe both?

20070307_0222Medium.jpg

20070307_0223Medium.jpg

20070307_0224Medium.jpg

• Like 1

that looks like a scotts to me. I have a scotts on my WR and I will admit best $$$ spent on a mod! I love it.

• Like 1

Thought I'd add my input on stabilizers as the one I run made by Emig Racing was not covered.

Been running the Emig stabilizer for 3 years now and absolutely love it! They make a nice product, very good service response (rebuilt 2x and got it back inside of a week!) Now that is good customer service.

Here is a pic of mine:

dsc01907eg9.jpg

They make several mx products and have some nice colors to choose from. Regarding performance, it is free to center, 13 settings that are easy to dial in while riding. No hi/lo speed settings like Scott's stabilizer, but offset that by going up a few notches if I know speeds are a bit higher. Like I said, very easy to change on the fly.

Fit and installation are spot-on. I will be going to a sub-mount soon for this (I have a fear of hitting myself on this from a previous serious accident with the cross-bar) so I can install a bar pad.

mx813

• Like 1

Here is a pic of mine:

dsc01907eg9.jpg

mx813

I have not seen those before, it looks really cool. I just have one question though, you said you have owned it for 3 years and it has been rebuilt twice. Why is it only lasting a year between rebuilds?

• Like 1

I have not seen those before, it looks really cool. I just have one question though, you said you have owned it for 3 years and it has been rebuilt twice. Why is it only lasting a year between rebuilds?

I ride with Mike and he maintains his stuff very well. Just like your suspension your steering stabilizer should have its fluid changed yearly. I use the GPR and I send it back to GPR to change the fluid and inspect it yearly. Just keeps it working as they are designed.

Paul

• Like 1

Like Red_Barney said....oil in stabilizer needs to be changed like fork oil as it breaks down and starts to loose resistance.

They check the o-rings, settings and ensure it is in top form, fresh fluids and the good thing is....no downtime if timed right.

• Like 1

I have never been a big fan of Steering stabilizers as I have always felt that you could get most of the headshake out with proper suspension adjustment. No matter what I did I couldn't seem to make my 06 KTM 525EXC feel stable at speed. So I got a GPR for my new KTM XCFW 315. So far I can't tell what it is doing but I have no headshake. I am only running it on the # 1 position.

Cher'o,

Dwight

• Like 1