Sign in to follow this  

suspension settings from stock

my bike (drz400 sm) is only just run in, and was wasndering what the suspension was set up for when it left the factory. i weigh 70 kg or 155 lb's. i thing the front is to soft and dives too much on breaking into corners. i also cant get the front up with any amount of throttle or clutching up. so i reckon i need to mess with the sus settings. can anyone give me a few pointers as i am clueless when it comes to suspension..

i also cant get the front up with any amount of throttle or clutching up. so i reckon i need to mess with the sus settings.

The fact u cant get the front wheel up is NOTHING to do with suspension.

Its your technique.

Fully Stock I cud 2nd gear power wheelie mine! :applause:

I'm 170, and the only thing I did from stock settings was loosen up the rebound 2 clicks and compression 1 click. The front was all over the place over rough pavement. Oh, and by the way, I can power wheelie in 2nd just barely at 5000 ft elevation.

I got some good advice to maximally stiffen all 5 suspension adjustments for road or track use. I am very happy with how it feels. Try it!!! Feels much more like a sportbike now without all the suspension movement.

I want to stiffen the back end up, so it doesnt sag so much when i sit on it..

Any ideas? :applause:

The fact u cant get the front wheel up is NOTHING to do with suspension.

Its your technique.

:applause:

Header, I hate to contradict you, but rear suspension DOES affect wheelies. When I had my lowering links on the bike it was a bitch to clutch up 2nd gear wheeelies. Even with the spring cranked way up. After I removed the lowering links and re-set my rear suspension, the front end flew up.

I do belive that suspension setting greatly influence ones ability to get it up.:eek:

oh ok, sorry :eek: my bad.

i never had a problem on a stock DRZ. Came up almost as easily as it does now (3x3, FCR, Full Akrapovic) :applause:

Any ideas on my question?

Crank the rear spring first, then re-set commprsion & rebound accordingly.

I got some good advice to maximally stiffen all 5 suspension adjustments for road or track use. I am very happy with how it feels. Try it!!! Feels much more like a sportbike now without all the suspension movement.

I like my suspension to move... and I come from a sportbike :applause:

Of course your suspension is still going to move! Most people are afraid to try something that seems like it "might" be too stiff. That is what I thought, but the recommendation came from an excellent source and I tried it and it works great!!

How hard is it to take a screw driver and turn 5 settings. Not hard at all and you can easily put it back to stock with no problems whatsoever if you can count. Read your manual and make sure you turn it the proper way. I see you say you came from a sporbike. Well I have come from motocross and sportbiking backgrounds and I just love this little DRZ SM, it was semi -ok stock but much better stiffened up.

It was mainly on the crappy pot-hole filled streets where I had the HUGE issues. It was NOT safe the way it was without a steering damper. Didn't notice and drawbacks at the track either. Guess it turns out I like my suspension a little mushy...

well i got the day off work tommorroww so think i will spend a few hours playing around with the settings.

I had the suspension on my R1 set to near race sag settings and oh boy did it wheelie better!! My 07 s is bone stock and it wheelies with a slight tug up on bars and throttle in second, but I prefer the first gear up and then the shift to second. I am a big guy and it works great!! love this bike, and I think that a stiffer rear susp. would make it wheelie better. The soft ride is really comfortable though!