Sign in to follow this  

How to build a dirt jump

im trying to build a jump 2 go 20-40ish feet far and the dirt near it (im just using a shovel) really grainy and doesnt keep a shape any recamendations? or should i try and build wood?? idk if i could though cuz id need resources. THX will give points

man that sounds very very difficult. what kind of terrain is it? is it flat or is there a hump, up hill? down hill?

the more specific you are the better we can assist you in helping you make a sweet jump

Any type of hill or hills would definitely help. If it's not flat, pictures would help too.

start filling a wheel barrow with dirt and pack it REALLY good and put big logs under it so it wont wear down as fast.

it is on a small hill (10 feet up medium steep) i cant get a very good run at it though. uhhhhh other details, uhhh its the kinda dirt that makes a ton of dust and idk maybe i should put wood under it so it doesnt compact when i jump idk

thx.

pack it down REALLY good, like already said, use the log idea, and maybe water it down every now and then, to pack it in, when i built a dirt jump, i watered it every now and then and it worked good

hey rider48 how do u pack it in. I went up and back on it with my bike used a shovel jumped on it etc. and it still moves, is weight an issue cuz im light??

pretend your jump is a nice plant water it. let it bake then repeat 1-2 more times

In all seriousness, wear a tshirt. I am not a gear nazi, but believe me, having pebbles scraped out of your back is the most painful thing ive ever experienced...and that is with a shot of morphine. And i had a jersey on... there was no skin on the top section of my back and pebbles were like in my flesh... i was only going in 3rd gear on a 85 and it was on sandy dirt.

you could try putting a little dirt down and get it packed really well then adding a little more and packing it down each time. and if you water it each time you pack it down it should get pretty hard. but until its hard just make sure you keep a steady speed going off so you dont get ruts. good luck

just use a bunch of water and pack the jump with a shovel or piece of wood

that's the kinda dirt I used to build my jumps. pack it down and then put alot of water on it, then let it sit and harden.