My Totally Free RM250!

It sounds like your pilot jet circuit may be dirty, or possibly your float is still sticking a bit. Either one will keep the bike from reaching a proper idle, and that is why you probably need to keep revving it. I thought you posted earlier that you had it running good, and it was ideling? Did it get worse? If so, you need to take the carb apart and soak, and clean it thoroughly. When you finally do get it to idle, and you cant turn it off, hold the front brake, pull in the clutch, put the bike in gear, then slowly let the clutch out while sstill holding the brake. The bike will die.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was running it today(cant stop! sounds so good). I wanted to ride it but it was raining and my yard would have gotten destroyed. I noticed some exhaust coming out of a tube that connects to the top of the cylinder. Is that normal? It would blow out a little smoke ring every once in a while. Also I have noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Maybe its normal but theres a lot. If the winds blowing your way it will choke you out. I thought at first that it was just the the motor getting all the old fluids out of its system. I'm running 32:1(According to the dealer its the best mixture). Could the rich gas be giving me that smoke? You can see the excessive amount of smoke in the vid.

The little bit of smoke coming from that tube is fine. What is not fine, is what your dealer said. If you are running crap oil, then 32:1 is the mix. What oil are you running? (Here comes the barrage of what you should run because I do posts!) Get yourself YOUR choice of a good synthetic oil. My choice is Amsoil Dominator. Amsoil recommends a 50:1 mixture. I run it at 40:1 just because for some reason. You will always have smoke coming from your exhaust, but with a good synthetic, at 40:1 you will get less smoke, virtually no spooge, no plug fouling, and a clean and crisp running bike!

gotta sorta disagree with you there, just becuase your using a synthetic oil dosent mean all the smoke is going to magically go away, its all in the jetting. keep your 32-1 mix,

you gotta basicly lean off your carby, there are a few good jetting sites around that will explain how to do it.

p.s, If you let the bike idle for too long more than 1-2 mins without revving it, or keep the choke on for too long when you go to rev it its gonna smoke heaps becuase off all the unburn oil ext thats in the combustion chmaber from idling, the only way to clear it is it RIDE it hard, not just rev it hard in netural

with the jetting to adjust the jets them selves you have to buy diff sizes but you can adjust your airscrew and needle clip position.

certain jets take over from diff throttle postiions,

no throttle to 1/8 throttle is controlled by airscrew

the pilot jet overlaps from no throttle to 1/8 throttle

1/4 throttle to 3/4 throttle is controlled by the needle jet and clip position

3/4 to 4/4 throttle is controlled buy the main jet.

As I can see from the video you not really revving the bike all that much and its smoking so I would suggest to turn out the airscrew another 1/4 to 1/2 turn and also raise your needle clip position to make the bike run leaner.

also dont forget that once you start hammering the bike it will clean its self up and most of the smoke is liekly to go. before you do any rejetting take the bike out for a good run to see if the smoke goes. but rmeber that all 2 strokes wil smoke abit.

Thanks Kx125 that makes more sense. Also I have a quick riding question. When i ride i know you have to give it a little gas to start and let out the clutch at the right speed going from a stop but do you have to give its gas and let it out at the right speed when you are moving? I figured since the bike is rolling you would not, but then again i don't much about bikes. Just want to clarify before i knock myself on my ass, lol.

Wow! Thanks for the help guys! There is a lot of stuff I guess it needs. Today I got a clutch, engine coolant, transmission fluid, chain lube. Im gonna order a carburetor rebuild kit tommorow. And this weekend I will just take all day and just clean this thing up inside and out. I got this:

Service Manuel

Hoping it will help. I will get some brake fluid, and I will clean and re-oil the air filter. When i'm done i will try to fire it up. I do have some questions though:

When the bike is in gear and I try to roll it with the clutch in and it is harder to roll than neutral. It rolls, but not as easily. Its not a jerky movement like its in gear but just harder all around. Is that normal or did I adjust the clutch wrong?

good job!:bonk: u got a Clymer! i love that manual... i still have yet to buy one tho for my 06 YZ250F... answering ur clutch question, u either adjusted it wrong, or the clutch is dragging which is possible... [thats what mine's doing and i think i need a new clutch but i havent torn my bike apart yet cuz the dealership hasnt ordered in my gasket yet :naughty:]

I have been reading some and seems you can by flywheel weights to reduce how hard the power band hits. Is this true? If so, will I notice a significant difference over the stock hit? How much will it cost me to get weights?

this is very true and it does make the hit less... it technically gives ur bike a lil less low end response because it is harder for ur engine to move the heavier weight but once it gets going, it'll go longer because its momentum because of its weight therefore reducing stalling... they cost somewhere around 100 bucks.... order it from this website http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/weights.php?s_description=&s_make=Suzuki&s_category=1&weightsPage=2

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats on the bike. I think I would go with a 40:1 mix. Most average riders on 250's run 40:1. That will solve the smoke problem some. If you change to 40:1, and it is running right, not fouling plugs, and not smoking horribly, stick with that. TO THE PERSON WHO SAID THAT ALL 2 STROKES WILL SMOKE....I have a 97 CR125 and after my bike is warmed up it doesn't smoke at all. NONE.

i was planning on replacing the tires on this bike, but there are so many choices. Which ones are best for all around use(wood/fields/track)?

Nevermind, I just found out that new tires put more kick in the ride. The last thing I need is more kick when I hit the gas

Whats the difference between a roost deflector and these pressure suits? Does the roost deflectors actually protect your body or just deflect roost. I don't really ever see people wearing pads like the pressure suit things just roost deflectors.

Roost deflectors are the common thing, the pressure suits are basically the new Hi-Tec version. Personally I have never worn a chest protector till this year, and the only reason I started now was because of the switch to riding more rocky areas with more ATV and other traffic. I do have alot less bruising on my chest now though..? But when I race I still am more comfortable without.