DRZ-400S- A front end diver!!

Ok well i took My 2001 DRZ400s model out to the AMA district 37 enduro race last weekend. I have done some modifications to it, RS3, 3X3, tires blah blah blah. But anyways, this bike just seemed so front heavy, the front wheel would dig in anywhere and i couldent hit the corners for shi*. Now i had a freind who was riding an 01 WR400, his bike seemed alot lighter and it cornerd much better. In really sandy area's the front tire just wanted to bury its self. Now this is the S model and i know that there is a diffrence in weight between the DRZ400. I was just curious if any of you other DRZ400s owners experienced this let down on this bike. I think its time to sell and go orange (KTM) like everybody else. Thanks dudes, your coments would be great!!

if youve got the stock S forks on there (no damping adjustments) then that is your problem.

later S models got the E forks with adj comp and damp they work much better

you can find them on Ebay or if you had posted earlier I just sold a set last week

I read an older review of the DRZ 400 in Dirt Rider this weekend. They hit the proverbial head of the nail when they gave the DRZ400 the title of trail bike. They went on to say a trail bike is not a bad thing.

What they and what you have discovered is that the DRZ is not an MX race bike. It is a trail bike that can be ridden on the MX track with some limitations.

If you could borrow Ricky Carmichael's gloriously wonderful MX bike and come with me on my next 120 mile trial ride and you may find yourself wishing for a DRZ400. It is simply too hard hitting, geared too low and would run out of gas.

The DRZ is a bike capable of being ridden anytime any where, but it does compromise in many areas in-order to be a jack of all trades. It's beauty is that it will do most everything fairly well, and can be set up to excel in a very specific area if you wan it to. But it will still be a little heavy compared to the single purpose race bikes.

how much do you weigh?

i had similar issues when i first got my drz. front end was too soft & rear end was too hard for me. i weigh 155 lbs..

i had more issues with the front end diving in whoops, and the rear pogoing.

i went with a softer e model rear spring & 7 wt fork oil & increased capacity.

reducing some weight from the front of the bike seemed to help too.

if you're heavier, you would benefit from re-springing. a re-valve for your weight & riding style is another option.

or, you could just by the ktm like you mentioned.

Ok I just got back from Baja and running the 250 there. We used a drz400E for prerunning and it handled great. Not a problem with it. Yes the pig is heavy if you have to carry it. but is you are moving you will feel is lite and moves as fast as you can run it. We mark 93 mph on the Ojos negros jumps to tres hermanos on the GPS.

DRZ400E 2002, 3x3,Jett,Yosh,Maxxis desert IT(it was great in Baja)

Try re-springing the front. My 07 had bad fork dive plus, at 220lbs, I am way over the weight capacity of the springs. I got .48s. The rear is fine since the S has a bit larger spring than the E. Check out Race Techs spring calculator.

http://www.racetech.com/evalving/menu/searchdirt.asp

Big diff. after changing them out. Went on some tight tight trials. Would have sucked with the factory springs. It corners at speed much better. It is my DS tire I fell that is at fault for not holding its ground. The bike feels a bit lighter with the new springs as well. I replaced the oil with 7.5 wt.

http://www.goodaleportal.com/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=35&g2_itemId=907

Note: Earlier model DRZ S's had diff. suspension. I do not know what year they switched to the E model forks!

have you tuned your suspension? it plows because it isn't setup for you from the factory, it is setup for a small japanese man.

Which I have never understood why they build the DRZ with such a high seat height. How do they touch the ground when their avg height is close to 5.5. Must not sale much of the E or S version. :applause: Not many 6', 150lbs'ers out here even that I know.

I'm 5.7 and had no problems using the bike I did find out that the gel seat (lower 1 inch) Helps b/c is lower and slim lets you feel better the bike that the stock seat. Stock feels like you are seating in a big ass chair. the gel feels like your mountain bike.

Ok well i took My 2001 DRZ400s model out to the AMA district 37 enduro race last weekend. I have done some modifications to it, RS3, 3X3, tires blah blah blah. But anyways, this bike just seemed so front heavy, the front wheel would dig in anywhere and i couldent hit the corners for shi*. Now i had a freind who was riding an 01 WR400, his bike seemed alot lighter and it cornerd much better. In really sandy area's the front tire just wanted to bury its self. Now this is the S model and i know that there is a diffrence in weight between the DRZ400. I was just curious if any of you other DRZ400s owners experienced this let down on this bike. I think its time to sell and go orange (KTM) like everybody else. Thanks dudes, your coments would be great!!

dude....at the level of riding that goes on at district 37 races...you need to switch bikes...dr-z is not the bike for the job.dont get me wrong, i love my drz but when i go to those races(whether im competing or "pitting" my older brother &team viking)im on the ole husky 450 or rm 250

That's right if you are planning on been competitive on races you need other bike. I have the DRZ400e as playbike and use a KTM450 and CRF250 for race. If you ride desert and long hours you need something light and easy to push. After a few hours riding you'll feel the difference on weight. My self i also love that DRZ.:bonk:

• 4 months later...
FYI.. its been a while... i sold that pig and bought a 05 525, best investment.... the suzuki is junk compared to the KTM.

Mikie

Its really a matter of what your looking for. Your comparing apples to oranges. I have my DRZ for exploring and a motorcross bike for the other stuff. The DRZ is actually a very well built maching, its just not a motocross bike. You just bought a ferrari and are now calling your toyota pickup a piece of junk. Let us know how the KTM is running when you get 25k miles racked up on it.

No disrespect meant, just my $0.02 ?

I've got the same problem with fork dive, and I try to stay out of sand unless it's wet. I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs on an '07 S (has the damping adjustments discussed earlier), so the suspension should be about perfect for me even if the bike is a little tall.

A couple things have helped so far. During the first trip offroad, I bumped the compression up 3 clicks from stock. Not sure where it's set at now (really should check for the record) but upping the compression dampning helped significantly. Over the course of a few months, i un-intentionally dropped some weight off the bike (new exhaust, buddy peg eliminator, UFO tail-light and other small bits) and it stuck a bit better. I picked up the Superbrace fork brace I read about in a review on the main page here a couple rides ago and it made a HUGE diffence. I can still push the front, but I'm usually doing something I should have know better. I added some speed bleeders to the front forks at the same time as the brace (let out the air everytime I stop) so I can't tell how much that's helping, but the combo was a real difference.

Even with that and a plastic tank on the garage floor awaiting install, I was still considering trading in on a CRF250X so that I can keep up with the guys. It'd wash out less and be more appropriate to my size. But the DRZ is just so damn smooth. The plush suspension, ample-but-not-abrupt torque (haven't done the FCR yet), and reliabilty is just too much to let go. And I couldn't have both. For that, I'm sticking with the DRZ. I'll just lag behind a little.

I've got the same problem with fork dive, and I try to stay out of sand unless it's wet. I'm 5'8" and 135 lbs on an '07 S (has the damping adjustments discussed earlier), so the suspension should be about perfect for me even if the bike is a little tall.

A couple things have helped so far. During the first trip offroad, I bumped the compression up 3 clicks from stock. Not sure where it's set at now (really should check for the record) but upping the compression dampning helped significantly. Over the course of a few months, i un-intentionally dropped some weight off the bike (new exhaust, buddy peg eliminator, UFO tail-light and other small bits) and it stuck a bit better. I picked up the Superbrace fork brace I read about in a review on the main page here a couple rides ago and it made a HUGE diffence. I can still push the front, but I'm usually doing something I should have know better. I added some speed bleeders to the front forks at the same time as the brace (let out the air everytime I stop) so I can't tell how much that's helping, but the combo was a real difference.

Even with that and a plastic tank on the garage floor awaiting install, I was still considering trading in on a CRF250X so that I can keep up with the guys. It'd wash out less and be more appropriate to my size. But the DRZ is just so damn smooth. The plush suspension, ample-but-not-abrupt torque (haven't done the FCR yet), and reliabilty is just too much to let go. And I couldn't have both. For that, I'm sticking with the DRZ. I'll just lag behind a little.

Drop your forks down flush with the tripple clamp. If they already are, add 1/2" - 3/4" race sag. Your bike understeers because it steers to fast. More fork rake will most likely solve your problem. I still had front end dive with my suspension all dialed. You just have a little bit of setup to go. ? As a ligher rider myself (just shy of 150lbs.) I have always found that "propper race sag" steers to quick for me.

I've never set Race Sag, but was thinking it might hook up better. Is it going to raise the seat height unladen? It's takes a bit to throw a leg as is.

At your weight, even propper race sag is gonna be a lot lower than stock. ? By adding sag, you are lowering the bike and therfore making the forks closer to level with the ground. Image how quick it would steer if the forks were strait up and down. (If that helps you picture what your doing)

Racetech in corna ca. will tune your suspension for 20$ makes a diffrence and they liketo see our bikes, something new I guess. Or for about 250 they will rebuild your stock forks or get the factory setup for $450. Great investment if you plan to keep riding it.