Sign in to follow this  

Extended Warranty - Is it Necessary ?

Is it necessary to buy an extended warranty (2,3,4 years) when one buys a New DRZ400s?

Don't buy it when you purchase your bike. You have a year to decide if it is right for you. You'll probably love your DRZ, but you never know if you will either total it, have it stolen, sunk, or sold within your first year (hopefully none of the above). But, if any of those happen and you tied up your money on a warranty, you lose!

Plus, if your bike gernades due to a warranty reason in the first year, and the Manuf warranty replaces your engine, wouldn't that replacement engine be covered by Zuk for an additional year? (I don't know the answer to this for sure...)

Haven't extended the warranty on by drz yet. However, I did extend the warranty for my CBR last year. The local dealers wanted $550. I checked online at Ebay and was able to get the same Honda warranty for $350.

So, that's something to think about.

Tony

Extended Warranties AND Maintenance Contracts are the 2 biggest money

makers for Motorcycle Dealers in New Bike AND Used Bike Sales:crazy:

SO

It's your call...................Gee, I wonder why the dealers

make so much money with these 2 add-ons, don't you??? :lol:

Happy Riding !!

:applause::eek:

If your dealer offers Western warranties, their cost on a 4-year on a zook is about $160. They like to charge $350-$550.

A Western warranty is far superior to a Suzuki warranty as they can be used at any shop, not just a Suzuki shop. If your DRZ fails, a Kawi dealer can fix it.

They are also good at paying for repairs. On my '02 Beemer they paid for a $2200 wiring harness replacement, no questions asked.

Definitely worth the cost, IMO.

Don't buy it. It is a waste of money and the DRZ400 is very reliable. If you keep your fluid levels up, change your oil, take care of it, and don't make high RPM runs you won't have any problems. This forum will attest to the DRZ400 reliability.

don't make high RPM runs you won't have any problems.

Funny you mention that. I was at the local dealer yesterday. He showed me a crank, rod and piston from a 2600 mile '07 SM. The rod had a crack on the big end, and the piston was severely scarred. They had to replace the aforementioned parts plus the cylinder, under warranty.

The guy used it to commute 60+ miles/day at 80mph, WITHOUT re-gearing.

The DRZ's are strong, but can't take everything some owners dish out.

Most important, even over a warranty, is maintenance and common sense. If you take care of your DRZ, you shouldn't need a warranty.

I wouldnt waste your money save it for addons:thumbsup:

I wouldnt bother with addons. Id rather know that my bike is covered if it were to blow up on me

except for useless slip ons right?

Is it necessary to buy an extended warranty (2,3,4 years) when one buys a New DRZ400s?

I would buy it, that, and theft protection insurance.

DRZ's are probably the hottest bikes out there and everyone wants one. They are probably stolen a lot. :applause:

I buy extended warranties on all my bikes and I am ahead by over $3000 on my last 5 new bikes by not having to pay for repairs. I guess for me it has worked out.