Sign in to follow this  

Valve Question

So I took my bike in to have the Auto Decompression Exhaust Cam installed in my 02 WR250F. That was like a week ago.

I purchased a 290 Athena Kit (On the way) So I decided to go ahead and tackle this job myself. I still don't know why I took the bike in to have the Cam installed, I guess I was just scared to open the engine for the first time.

So I took the engine apart yesterday, and to my dismay there was little specks of dirt near the exhaust cam. And further to that I checked the exhaust valve clearences and they were out of spec!!! (0.006" and 0.005").

I haven't even been on the bike since the Cam was installed. Do you want to know how pissed off I am at this shop?!!!!!:applause:

Anyhow, I don't want to take the valves completely out of the head if I don't have to. My question is, is it okay to clean around the top of the valves with contact cleaner to make sure I get all the little specks of dirt out? Or do I have to remove the valves completely?

Being that your bike is 5 years old, I'd probably pull the valves out of the head for an inspection and also add some new valve seals. Take your head to a machine shop and have them soda blast all the carbon deposits off. If your going to go thru the trouble of adding a 290 kit, you might aswell go the extra step and make sure the head is perfect too.

I did a test on my valves with gas, to make sure the valves were still sealing correctly, and they were. I checked the valve itself and so no wear and no flattening on the stem end. Titanium valves are nice.

Anyway, this was on an 01.

Not sure how it helps, but its related info. :applause:

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to leave them in for now because the valves and head appear to be in really good shape for being 5 years old. I couldn't belive the condition of the piston and cylinder when I took them apart.

I bought the bike used....and it looked in great condiotion. I don't think the guy before me even rode it.

I took the swing arm apart last week and the bearings were immaculate. I'm starting to think I really lucked out when I bought this bike last year.

I was thinking about buying a new bike...but I think I have a winner. After reading Rally's new rebuild I'm starting to get the itch to do a powder coat on the frame myself.

Thanks again...:applause:

Rally did you get your suspension back yet?

Rally did you get your suspension back yet?

Yea, I did, and the bike is 99% assembled. It actually strapped into my truck along with my wife's bike cause we are going riding this weekend.

All that is left is to polish and/or powder coat the engine covers, and get a damn graphics kit installed. Aside from that its done. And of course, as soon as I get to the riding location, I need to tune it. My fav part. :applause:

hey guys soory to hijack, but we're at the powder coat stage and have had many different opinions on this subject.Are you happy with the end result?What color did you do your frame?Anyone have an older powder coated frame.How does it hold up?

Peter

hey guys soory to hijack, but we're at the powder coat stage and have had many different opinions on this subject.Are you happy with the end result?What color did you do your frame?Anyone have an older powder coated frame.How does it hold up?

Peter

I'll plug Rally's site for him...sorry....

You can find all the info about Rally's rebuild including the powdercoat.

http://www.rallyimprezive.com

Hey thanx for the link,it was suggested we try photoshopping the frame first to get an idea of what it would look like.Got adobe photoshop cs2 but cant seem to get it to change the frame color.Any body on here know how this is done ,maybe post a sample.We have an 05 250f and were thinkin of yellow.

Peter

Hey thanx for the link,it was suggested we try photoshopping the frame first to get an idea of what it would look like.Got adobe photoshop cs2 but cant seem to get it to change the frame color.Any body on here know how this is done ,maybe post a sample.We have an 05 250f and were thinkin of yellow.

Peter

I know it would get dirty easily, but I think white would be pretty cool.