how to 450X exhaust mod

cool - what exhaust system did you go with and how much was it. The other question i have is did you do the airbox and the exhaust at the same time? What Jet kit did you buy?

Thanks a lot!

I just did the Baffle mod on the stock exhaust until i can get an MRD exhaust for it. I used Skoots recomendation of the NCVS needle(2004 CRF450R option needle)clip on 3rd position and a 165 main jet. Cost me no more that 30 bucks. I did do the Airbox and exhaust mod at the same time Check the sticky's on the top of the 450x forums. Everthing you need to know is in there. Pics and all. I can't wait to ride in the desert. :confused:

Does anyone have the exhaust mod pics? I am searching the forum and not finding them anywhere.... Any ideas? Links?

They are still on the the third page of this thread like the 5th post down. I just looked at them.

• 1 month later...

To get my baffle out I first took the complete assembly out of the exhaust, put in on a bench vertically with the back end of the SA/baffle up and let some WD40 soak in. Then fitted it back in the exhaust and used some mole grips on the end of the baffle and wiggled and rotated it till it came out.

Have not ridden it yet - will do next weekend. I ride in unpopulated areas so noise should not be too much of a problem.

To get my baffle out I first took the complete assembly out of the exhaust, put in on a bench vertically with the back end of the SA/baffle up and let some WD40 soak in. Then fitted it back in the exhaust and used some mole grips on the end of the baffle and wiggled and rotated it till it came out.

Have not ridden it yet - will do next weekend. I ride in unpopulated areas so noise should not be too much of a problem.

when I bought mine, they put the cam kit in it with headpipe, jetting, and airbox mods before I picked it up. they pulled the whole baffle assy out and said here ya go. way too loud and looked crappy so I cut the end cap off the baffle and mig welded a turndown tip through it. looks all right, and keeps my plate from discoloring. my name is Troy, and I'm a redneck....lol.

tailpipe.jpg

pictures2511.jpg

when I bought mine, they put the cam kit in it with headpipe, jetting, and airbox mods before I picked it up. they pulled the whole baffle assy out and said here ya go. way too loud and looked crappy so I cut the end cap off the baffle and mig welded a turndown tip through it. looks all right, and keeps my plate from discoloring. my name is Troy, and I'm a redneck....lol.

tailpipe.jpg

pictures2511.jpg

Those were my exact thoughts.

Will modifying the airbox and the muffler require the bike to be rejetted?

my bike was jetted when i bought it, but i'm not sure the exact specs. It doesnt seem to pop at all on decel or anything like that, so maybe it would have enough fuel to do the mods?

I would check to see what jetting you got in your bike. I would not go off of what someone else says. Airbox needs to be opened up IMO. With the baffle in the bike it is so quiet it is hard to hear the decel pop. Remove that baffle and see what you hear. Let us know what you find. Hard to tell if you need a jetting change not knowing what you have in there. Generally just a bump up on the main jet will be needed when adding exhaust. This is If everything else is spot on.

Looks like my pics got messed up. Here they are again.Sorry.

Baffle.jpg

ModifiedBaffle002.jpg

ModifiedBaffle001.jpg

ModifiedBaffle003.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&viewitem=&item=180239532992

I found this one on Ebay and thinking about buying it , does this product require me to remove the baffle all togather and ride without it Im alittle confused . It seems to me that it is an end cap/spark arrester all in one but I don`t want to ride aloud bike if it also requires the removel of the baffle altogather. I guess I don`t understand all this muffler modifaction

Since I started this thread I have put on a new pipe (the MRD) and modified the airbox ( i chose to cut off the top) and re jetted it. The main jet went from a stock 142 to 170. Since then i have rode the bike 3 times and it "ROCKS". The difference is huge; much more pop and the throttle response is immediate. If you are considering doing this there is a thread that shows the airbox modification that i used and i would suggest you do the same. It was pretty easy. Dave the owner of MRD Exhaust knows his stuff and made the recommendations around the jetting. He actually sent me the jets with the pipe and made a recomendation around the needle adjustment too. Good luck!

Since I started this thread I have put on a new pipe (the MRD) and modified the airbox ( i chose to cut off the top) and re jetted it. The main jet went from a stock 142 to 170. Since then i have rode the bike 3 times and it "ROCKS". The difference is huge; much more pop and the throttle response is immediate. If you are considering doing this there is a thread that shows the airbox modification that i used and i would suggest you do the same. It was pretty easy. Dave the owner of MRD Exhaust knows his stuff and made the recommendations around the jetting. He actually sent me the jets with the pipe and made a recomendation around the needle adjustment too. Good luck!

Got any pics?

• 2 weeks later...
does removing the baffle cause any damage to the motor if you dont mess with the jetting?!

I would think removing the baffle would help with the exhaust restrictions which in turn would make your bike run even leaner. If so, then yes over time it could cause premature engine damage. I didn't even bother with removing my baffle. I found an after market Jardine exhaust on Ebay for $100 that looks and sounds a hell of a lot better than the stock exhaust without a baffle.