Sign in to follow this  

rare opportunity

buddy of mine works for XXXXX MC Co. and they are having a sale today. I have 2 choices, 05 CRF450X for 05 KTM 450EXC. I've never owned a KTM before, heard horror stories about parts availability and $$$ for mods. The CRF is only $3700. and the KTM is $3900. both in excellent condition, maintained by XXXXX. I need your opinions, how is the reliability of the KTM etc... what should I look for ? thanks in advance

I don't know, do you want the lighter, faster, more reliable, better equipped bike or do you want the Honda?

Of course you are asking on a KTM section, but even the magazines (who don't get a ton of advertising from KTM) say that the KTM 450 is one of the most bullet-proof dirt bikes out there. Expensive mods? Like what? The carb mods are the same as they use the same basic carb. Motor mods? The EXC 450 can be converted into a 510 with factory parts; that is a better mod than just about anything you can do to the Honda. Dirt Bike compared the new version of both bikes this month; read the article and buy the Orange bike.

BTW: KTM parts are no more expensive on average than Honda parts, and availability depends on your dealer; KTM keeps lots of parts available.

I've only ridden Honda, I DO like the KTM, I'm seriously considering the KTM, I DO like the look of orange :applause:

aaa1_3.JPG

I don't know, do you want the lighter, faster, more reliable, better equipped bike or do you want the Honda?

Don't forget that the KTM is also MUCH easier to maintain. Access to the carb, valves and filters is a breeze. Not so on the Honda.

I own an '05 CRF250X (not direct experiences with the 450X) and an '07 450XCW (which is equivalent to the EXC you are looking at) and I'm happy with both bikes so far (KTM is still kind of new to me).

The ktm is very happy at tight trails here in Florida and even some motocross (my riding buddy is a C rider and he liked the suspension better than on his 450R, probably had the R to stiff for his level). I heard the X is more of a desert oriented machine but I guess it can be set up for different types of riding.

I would think both options are good but I feel the ktm has allowed me to ride a little better. Have fun with your search and this should be a good problem to have!

Enjoy,

LW

I sure wished my bike looked like that again.

Go orange allllllll the way

I am with you, I am looking at my next ride and I am just as unsure. I hope to be purchasing my last bike as I am 41 and there is no need for more than these bikes can produce.

I am waiting for the KLX450R to show up at the dealers so I can see it before I decide. Forunately my dealer carries KTM, Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha. All of them make excellent options for my uses, I ride mostly woods and a little track. I love the trails and power lines but my buddies love the tracks and ride MXers.

My dealer is going to oblige me and when the Kawi. comes in He will let me know and I will be able to see them all together.

KTM EXC450 2006 and 2007

Kawasaki KLX450R 2008

Honda Crf450X 2006 and 2007

Yamaha WR450 2007

I will be able to test ride quickly in the area behind the parking lot to see how they all hit the power and see what feels best to me. There are decent deals on the leftover KTM and Honda, but I just can't decide.

I have to admit though I always dreamed of rideing a Safety Cone....::applause: