Sign in to follow this  

Internal Kick Start Stop Plate

2002 CRF 450R

I heard an internal noise coming from the kick start area, sounded as if the kick start foot lever was pushed down but it was up and tucked it place. So I removed the right crankcase cover and found the kick start stopper plate broken in half and the kick start stopper plate hold down bolt sheared off. This is the second time this year something internal has broken with the kick start. All the other internal parts for the kick start appear to in good shape. What am I overlooking or what could be causing this to happen ?

Chillman

I beleive I read some posts about running a little more trans oil than it calls for, to keep the kick start idler gear lubricated or something like that. Maybe someone will chime in, or try the search feature.

I had that small plate break in half on my 02 also. 6 months after I got it, new.

In the middle of a race at Glen Helen, coming down one of the down hills... locked that bad boy up solid. Had to replace everything inside except crank side parts. Honda took care of it, so I think it was a manufacturer defect.

Push your honda dealer!!!

Todd.

i have seen the stop plate break on a couple of these. but the guys that owned them did not know what a full strong kick was. they would jab at them like they were starting a two stroke. not a good plan. these are great bikes. take care of it and it will serve you well

i've got a 07 450r i bought new in february this year. same thing happened to my bike where i heard a noise, stopped the bike, opened the rhs cover only to find the kick stopper plate broken in half on the hole the bolt goes through. the piece that broke off though went in between the idler gear and clutch basket and damaged the shim washer on the back of the clutch basket. apparently you cannot buy the washer seperately and i had to buy a new clutch basket. the dealership where i bought the bike from in south africa is just pulling up their shoulders saying this has never happened before and that it is from rough use of my bike even they can't prove it, and i want to know what caused this to happen as i don't want to keep on replacing parts if it can be prevented...what do they care anyway...they've received the money for the bike when they sold it to me. (very funny how they contacted me the next day after i bought the bike to find out if i was happy with their service, and now that the bike is sold and has a problem they don't really care and couldn't even return a phonecall) needless to say i will never use them again or tell anyone to support them. never had anything like this happen on any of my other bikes. Anyone else this has happened to? Get in touch

i have seen the stop plate break on a couple of these. but the guys that owned them did not know what a full strong kick was. they would jab at them like they were starting a two stroke. not a good plan. these are great bikes. take care of it and it will serve you well

Exactly kick hard and through. Do not let the kicker spring back on it's own.