building an enclosed trailer

this year i will start to travel out of state to race and will be staying over night alot, and i want to get an enclosed trailer to keep my bikes and everything safe over night but cant afford one, i was wondering if there was a way that i could buy one of those $400 metal trailers and enclose it myself? do you think it would work, or has anyone done it or seen it done? , thanks everyone

It can be done. The biggest problem with going that route is tracking down decent looking corners, door hinges and locking mechanisms. I have a friend that built his own trailer and it turned out great, but instead of having nice heavy hinges and cam locks on the doors it has fairly light weight Home Depot stuff that probably looks better on a fence.

If you don't expect to get a pro looking trailer, it's very do-able.

any links to websites with plans or something that would help with building one?

this year i will start to travel out of state to race and will be staying over night alot, and i want to get an enclosed trailer to keep my bikes and everything safe over night but cant afford one, i was wondering if there was a way that i could buy one of those $400 metal trailers and enclose it myself? do you think it would work, or has anyone done it or seen it done? , thanks everyone

Another thing you need to take into consideration is the weight rating of the trailer-for example, most $400 trailers are not rated much over 1000 lbs total weight, and this is including the weight of the trailer, so now figure in 200 lbs for the bare trailer, then add the weight of all the materials to make the enclosure, and the difference of the two is what you can safely carry in cargo.

Look around-you'd be surprised how cheap a 5x8 enclosed can be-I've seen them sell as low as the $1000 range.

By the time you dump in your time and money it would have been cheaper just to buy one DONE!

I would agree with Super Dude or else look for a used One you'll probably save money in the long run Get a part time job with the time yell spend on the trailer and you might come out ahead

I had a friend who built one a couple years ago. Turned out alright but he went through a lot of headaches and money to get it insured (for bikes inside). He said it would have been cheaper just to buy one to begin with.