Sign in to follow this  

Broken Collar bone

I broke my collar bone in September and had surgery to fix it. I was wondering what is the best way for me to protect my collar bone now when I ride? I tried on some chest protectors but they all seem to pinch my skin against the steel plate in my shoulder which hurts like a bitch. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Dont go off the top side!

I know that’s obvious but is all I have found to prevent me from doing it again. Does the Leatt do anything for it?

Been there...you have to find a cp that is comfortable to wear and will not rub against the repaired area. Some are better than others, one that worked for me was the Thor Force. Also wear a neck roll. Ultimately though you should eventually have the hardware removed...good luck

I broke my collarbone when I landed on the point of the shoulder. (and it was in the days before locked plates, so I still have some weakness and an occasionally painful bump)

OK, so now I ride with a chest protector that goes out to the shoulder. When I fall, on the point of the shoulder, the forces are tranmitted right though the protective device, to the shoulder once again.

In short, I think the only way to protect your collarbone is to sell the bike.

If I had a fracture in which I could be transported, it would be to Jeff Mast in Reno, or Bruce Meinhard in NYC.

If I need to get my ACL done, it would be by Don Shelbourne in Indy.

If I need a total hip or knee, it would be by Glenn Landon in Houston.

I only remove plates that hurt, on the very young, or if on guys joining the Service.