Sign in to follow this  

Difference in YZ's

What are the key differences from 2002 - 2007 in the YZ 250? I know that 2005 the frame was changed and the 2006 model suspension was better. What are the other key differences? How do you make an 02 as good as the 06/07 models with keeping the older frame?

From what I've read and a owner of a 03. A suspension revalve is definatley needed to compare to the 06+. The motors are pretty muchthe same. With the frame the steel frame is more rigid, ahile the aluminum frame has a little more flex and is lighter. I think that is all, but if i am wrong about anything someone let me know.:applause:

From what I've read and a owner of a 03. A suspension revalve is definatley needed to compare to the 06+. The motors are pretty muchthe same. With the frame the steel frame is more rigid, ahile the aluminum frame has a little more flex and is lighter. I think that is all, but if i am wrong about anything someone let me know.:applause:

The aluminum frames are actually a little more rigid. the new frames don't stretch like the steel ones.

Just a few things besides suspension and the aluminum frame that was not mentioned......

The 06 and 07 got a 10mm taller seat (and I love it).

05 had a different pipe than previous YZ's and it was good ... But the 06 and 07's pipe's was a hair better.

Starting in 05 the crank was revised, the piston was made heavier (for better traction) and the porting was changed.

The 02 to 04 was a hair broader... but the 06 and 07 have more overall pull and peak (needed to hang with 450's).

Just a few of many differences:thumbsup:

I heard that they went to aluminum frame because the cost of blue paint was getting to high.

What mod's can be done to the 02 to make it more like the newer models? Is there a revalve, gold valve, something to do with the suspension? So far everything seems very similiar.

If the bike dont have much use and is pretty much a good stock unit? I would just get stiffer fork spings, change and raise the fork oil level. Also you can find some after market upper clamps to run a 1 1/8 oversize bar.

At that point this bike should not slow you down over a 06.

I hear the best thing for the older YZ forks are sub tanks.

Otherwise, the 02 engine is fine... and the rear shock will be fine as well. The only real weakness in the 02 was the forks.

Very cool! I have to change the springs out anyhow for my weight so this was a must do item. Thanks for the feedback.

I heard that they went to aluminum frame because the cost of blue paint was getting to high.

That would explain why they put so little on, you just have to look at it and it falls off.

How do you make an 02 as good as the 06/07 models with keeping the older frame?

you don't, aluminum frame is the way to go