'93 KX 250 Question

The buykawasaki site (www.buykawasaki.com) shows the stock rate as .39 Kg/mm. New fork springs are $110. A new shock spring is $110. There's no need to worry about a revalve until both ends are rebuilt and have the correct rate springs.

On the dealer, that is what I was mentioning earlier. Most general shops do "general" service, which means seal changes and fork oil. Most customers probably don't know what all is inside and don't ask for it to be checked out. At least you are heading down the "knowledge road". :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got my forks back. The right fork feels great...when I adjust the clickers and squish it manually(not installed on the bike yet) I can feel both compression and rebound dampening occurring. You can hear oil being squished thru the valve. The left fork bounces with very little oil squishing sound. No amount of adjustment on the rebound or compression seem to make a difference at all

The guy at the bike shop said they both looked good and are nice and tight still. Let me ask you this, does he have to remove all the inerds when replacing the seal and changing the oil? I mean do they take everything out nad clean it up real good or can you replace the seals without taking stuff out?

It seems as if I could get this left fork to work properly I'd have some nice suspension up front. THis has probably been my problem all along!

It might have air in it.

Also, he may have taken the cartridges out and set them to the side, changed the seals, then reinstalled the cartridges. If there is a probelm inside the cartridge (see post 4), then unless it is disassembled and inspected, it won't be caught.

Since the bike is 14 years old, it MIGHT need a rebuild and not just a seal change. Like I mentioned earlier, I am working on my friend's 1995 KX250 forks and they look like crap inside.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I took the forks back to the shop and he agreed to take another look at the left one. Took it totally apart and noticed the rebound piston didn't fit as tight in the cartridge as the right one but that was it. He showed me the valve assembly and how you can't take it apart without breaking the seal the factory puts on them holding them together.

I called Race Tech and described the problem I was having to ask if new valves might fix my problem. They rock btw...the guy was awesome. He said that for some reason the valve is checked open preventing the rebound and compression valves from closing at the right time to make them work right. He suggested taking the valves apart and cleaning it out totally and wasn't concerned with the sealed threads the factory puts on them. But bottom line, he did not suggest that new valves would solve the problem.

The fork is still not working correctly, I did not buy new valves. Good news is that the shop didn't charge me anything for digging back into them. So I'm in the market for a used pair of forks for a '93 kx250 *hint hint*

Update:

So I'm in the market for a used pair of forks for a '93 kx250 *hint hint*

Measure the forks where they fit in the clamps and get back to us. You would be far ahead to buy as new a model fork as you can afford.

Unfortunately you will probably have to swap wheels, axles & brakes to use a later model fork but they will be SO much better you won't believe it.

If you can post a picture of the cartridge assembly we may be able to steer you thru fixing it? :applause:

Try ebay for "kx forks". There is a set off a 2000 model with clamps that would be a big improvement.

...unless they hit the radiators when the handlebars are fully turned to either side. :excuseme: (Just messing with you a little KTM-Lew. :-) any news on the DRZ midvalve?)

Just send them off to someone who knows how to work on suspension. The guy you are dealing with now doesn't know everything he needs to know in order to help you out. Since it is a 1993 bike, I would humbly guess that it does need to be disassembled and cleaned and inspected.

Did you ever take the damper rod bushing out and inspect it??

I called Enzo yesterday, and the lady told me that they don't have rebound piston bands in stock for the 1995 KX250 I asked about. The rebound piston band may be the same on your 1993 KX250 forks. If so, and your bike needs them (after 14 years would it really hurt) ? , then maybe you can buy a piston band for a different application and then cut it to fit. That looks like what I will be doing on my own 1995 KX250 forks (not my friend's).

The damper rod bushings are sold by Race Tech.

Good luck with the continued struggle. :applause: