Sign in to follow this  

Kenda Trackmaster II on the street; Yikes!

Well, this Friday we had a drink beer and get the bikes ready for spring wrenching session. I put some Trackmaster II's on my dirt rims. I took it out in a muddy field that night and I must say, I was very impressed with them.

Last night however, I went to the gas station and around the block. Oh my god are these things scary on the pavement. Granted, I just swapped out from my SM setup, so even with decent knobbies it takes a little getting used to. Plus, these tires still have the mold release on them, so that made them even worse.

To make a long story short, I don't think I wanna take these sucker out on the highway anytime soon, but I bet they are going to work much better in the trails than the 606's. Can't wait for this weekend, plan on trying them out on the muddy trails.

Don't sweat it. I sport my on the highway all the time. You get used to riding on knobbies pretty quickly at highway speeds.

They get better on the street but they still suck. Every minute on the trail they are worth it.

Any knobby as aggressive as the TMII is going to command prudence on asphault.

I experienced the same thing (from sm wheels/tires to dirt wheels/Kendas). Scary. I found that the knobs are so tall, that in heavy street cornering, the edge knobs feel like they are rolling "in and out". Find a parking lot and really scrub the tires by riding circles and figure-eights. A number of miles on all surface areas of the tires and they get much better.

WGW

I got the 110/100s which are way skinny, I'll be wearing them out quickly and getting the 120/100s next time. I only have the rear with my worn D756 front still. I've leaned them over halfway on the outer-most knob, but being skinny, I don't think that means much. My first ride with them I did a dualsport ride in the rain, w/o being balanced. Took it real easy, no drama. Riding to work I noticed how easily I could snap the bike over, again maybe the skinny tire at play.

They did work great in the 5.5 miles of greasy mud I got in. My front on the other hand was caked with mud and at times it was useless to steer with the bars.

Give it some time and I think you'll feel comfortable with them on the road. I hated riding my d756s on the road at first. I take it you're using the k760 front too? I'm going to try the AC-10 front here shortly so I can be fully dot legal.

Yeah, I flip flopped several times on what front to buy... I ended up just getting the TMII for the front too. I'll give it a go and if I don't like it I will replace it. These tires are so cheap that I'm not too concerned.

If you want to get the mold release off quickly, get into some dry sand and tear it up... :bonk:

It will wear away very quickly.

I run TM rear all the time for dualsport. Everytime I put a new one one it scares me enough to think there is something wrong with the bike. Never is. The knobs are very square and need to round off. They are much better after a "break in period". Enjoy!

Talking to a guy at the stealer and the book says there 80-20 tire........he has it on his bike and said its more like 97-3 offroad to on-road........

IMO though I think the TM2 front wears to quickly and im looking for a new brand up front.......love the rear though

I've run mine on the highway at over 85 mph. I wouldn't recomend it but it didn't feel unsafe.They aren't to bad on the street once they are broken in it just takes a little time to get use to them.

I have a set on order.

They're rated to 81mph if that matters.

I just got back from some riding and my first s-turn I came in hot and let go of the front brake, started to turn in, had too much rear brake still, rear end slid around! I was a bit nervous 'cuz it was my first time doing that and stories played through my head of coming to a stop if you skid the rear tire so you don't let go and high-side.

Well I gradually and easily let off the brake and made it! Was close to going off the pavement. Despite the nervousness it was quite a rush and it actually felt controlled! I've power-slid on the dirt and pavement before but this was new and it happened on the pavement! Everything was dry. I'm ready to run some kart tracks and get that feeling the first time I back it in with SM tires!

I took some pics last night.

drzkenda1.jpg

drzkenda2.jpg

drzkenda3.jpg

... and a shameless plug for my commuters... aptly named The Rickshaw. [i dug her out today and gave her some TLC... I wonder if the officer would have believed me when I told him I was doing 125mph to dry her off after the carwash? :bonk: ]

2007mag1.jpg

Cool pics. The Magna looks good too.

The tires looks good the scary thing is the guy in flip flops with the gun.... Thank god its just a BB gun... :bonk:

• Like 1

Thank god its just a BB gun... :bonk:

Yeah, living on the edge of the city requires a bit of a comprimise. Although, at a 1,000 fps I wouldn't really want to get hit in the side of the head with it either.

[although, I must admit, lately I have been buying subsonic rounds for the 10/22... with those it ain't a heck of a lot louder than the RWS.]

What do you have a triple smoker in the background regal?

What the hell are you BBQing anyway? with all of those grills/smokers you could cook a half a cow.

Yeah, living on the edge of the city requires a bit of a comprimise. Although, at a 1,000 fps I wouldn't really want to get hit in the side of the head with it either.

[although, I must admit, lately I have been buying subsonic rounds for the 10/22... it ain't a heck of a lot louder than the RWS.]

Yea, we got shot at one day, by a farmer with salt shot (long time ago).... That hurts....

I am sure a BB moving that fast will sting a little....