Sign in to follow this  

What type of oil is everyone useing? also what weight?

I went to the dealer today to buy my oil filter to do my first oil change 400miles on my sm, they said i should use 20w 50 with i thought would be to thick...?? anyone?

I like Canola the best... Usually buy Wesson because I don't like buying cheap no-brand crap and my french fries always taste the best when I use this brand.

It comes in a bottle like this:

0002700069004_LG.jpg

ps - search on oil.... it will give you hours of entertainment.

Asking about oil on this site is like, sticking your hand in a bee hive.

My thoughts: The 20w-50 is not as bad as you think. The first # 20 is the oils viscosity when the oils is cold. The 2nd # is the oils viscosity when the oil is hot. Take for example 15w-50 the bike will crank over easier when cold with the 15w-50, but when the engine is at opperating temp the viscosity with the 15w-50 and 20w-50 will be the same. Olso summer is just around the corner so the outside temps will be hotter. You will want to run a thicker oil.

In NJ I use 10W-40 semi-synthetic when its cold out. In the summer months I use 20W-50.... Belray is what I use.

Use 10W-40 until middle of June then go to the 20W until late Sept.

As already stated the 1st number is the viscosity cold. You don't really care about that unless you ride when it is really cold and need 5W or 10W to aid start up. The second number is viscosity hot, 40W or 50W is fine (believe me 50W hot is pretty dam thin). Full synthetic is recommended. Often recommended you put on 1000 miles or so before you switch to synthetic but I don't think it makes any difference when you start the syn. I use 10/40 Amziol and also like Shell Rotella T 5W40 (that is the synthetic styff). Rotella T 15W40 is the non-synthetic.

I used the suzuki full race synthetic SP4E 10w40 (Ithink) for 11600 miles. Come out clean at 2500 miles every time... and I RIDE HARD! bTW when u switch to synthetic, you cant go back (apparently thats the consensus)

I used the suzuki full race synthetic SP4E 10w40 (Ithink) for 11600 miles. Come out clean at 2500 miles every time... and I RIDE HARD! bTW when u switch to synthetic, you cant go back (apparently thats the consensus)

i believe the rumor of never going back has been debunked.

Anyone use the Suzuki brand oil?

The only real complaint that you will hear is that your paying more for it to say Suzuki on the bottle.

The only real complaint that you will hear is that your paying more for it to say Suzuki on the bottle.

We have found that if you have a good dealer, you can get a good discount if you buy it by the case.

I use Mobil 1 0w40 on my R6 and Syntec in my 4runner. When i run out of the cases of Mobil and Syntec, I will use Rotella T on everything. Much easier buying a few gallons of one oil rather than cases of different oils.