Sign in to follow this  

question about 99 xr100

my buddy got a 99 xr100 and it has come time for an oil change, but he does not know if there is an oil filter or not. he did not get a manual with his bike so he has no clue. if it does have an oil filter, where is it?

thanks in advance.

I don't believe so. At least I couldn't find one on my son's used 04 CRF100. Just clean the air filter out really well. It only takes a quart of oil too.

my buddy got a 99 xr100 and it has come time for an oil change, but he does not know if there is an oil filter or not. he did not get a manual with his bike so he has no clue. if it does have an oil filter, where is it?

thanks in advance.

Some of the smaller XR's have an oil screen. You need to take off the side case and remove it to replace it. This doesn't need to be done very often.

Just change the oil. Unless the oil is really nasty, then think about the oil screen. You will need a new oil screen and new case gasket.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~177801~section_dept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~dept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1999~model_dept_mfr~Honda~model_dept_id~174440~model_dept_name~XR100R.asp

I was thinking about just taking out the screen because it looks like all the screen does is keep the gunk in the little compartment instead of in my oil pan..? Would that be a smart idea?

I was thinking about just taking out the screen because it looks like all the screen does is keep the gunk in the little compartment instead of in my oil pan..? Would that be a smart idea?

Leave it. You dont wany any garbage sucked trough the pump, or to have a clog in the passages.

Again, leave it. You will gain nothing and risk sucking a big enough piece to sieze the oil pump.

It is there to filter out large chunks and keep them for circulating. Leave it on.

Honda does hire excellent engineers. There is a reason for the parts they use.

Thanks, I got it. :worthy: