Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning Spokes

How do i get em clean? There is a coating of dirt on them... not dirt but they are like stained and its driving me crazy... i didnt realize wd40 would prevent that.

I put mine on my bike stand and start it up and put it in gear and use my pressure washer to clean the spokes and rims, then I spray them with WD40 then wipe them off with a rag soaked with WD40.

I put mine on my bike stand and start it up and put it in gear and use my pressure washer to clean the spokes and rims, then I spray them with WD40 then wipe them off with a rag soaked with WD40.

you reminded me of a question i wanted to ask, does your bike stall while in gear on a stand?

and i use s.o.s. pads, or scotch brite, somthing like that, for hard to get off stuff:thumbsup:

How do you avoid getting WD40 on the brake rotor/pads?

you reminded me of a question i wanted to ask, does your bike stall while in gear on a stand?

and i use s.o.s. pads, or scotch brite, somthing like that, for hard to get off stuff:thumbsup:

No, I pull the choke out while its warming up and then I push it in and at idle I finish up, also I clean my chain. Nothing extreme on the chain, then I spray WD40 on it too. After that I take a rag and rotate the wheel and hold a rag around the chain to get the excess off.

How do i get em clean? There is a coating of dirt on them... not dirt but they are like stained and its driving me crazy... i didnt realize wd40 would prevent that.

My spokes were like that too and it drove me crazy too. I tried steel wool, scotchbrite pads and all kinds of cleaners. Nothing worked. I had my hubs powdercoated so while my wheel was disassembled, I ran every spoke across a bench grinder with a wire brush wheel. I worked great. I polished them up with a buffing wheel. :bonk:

Other than that, I don't know how to get those stains off.

If you really want them polished, take an old shoelace and wrap it around each spoke in turn.