Sign in to follow this  

How much cardio???

I just started working out at a health club. I am working on cardio

to increase staminafor racing. I have been doing 40 minutes on a

bike, then 20 on the treadmill. Is this good, more or less???

I just started working out at a health club. I am working on cardio

to increase staminafor racing. I have been doing 40 minutes on a

bike, then 20 on the treadmill. Is this good, more or less???

An hour of cardio is what I do. 30 min on treadmill and 30 an eliptical trainer. Run 15 m hard as I can walk 15 as fast as I can at a incline. Then Eliptical for 30 at 80 % max. I can go full pace in a 2hr HS. So thats what I gauge by. Also do 45 min of weights prior or on alternate days depending on schedule. Hope this helps.

How intense is the workout? I see plenty of people at the club who think they're getting a workout, but never even sweat. If you're heart rate isn't up there, you're not really doing much.

Get a book on mx training or other sport training. Plenty out there.

Best cardio is still done outdoors, running, bicycling.

How intense is the workout? I see plenty of people at the club who think they're getting a workout, but never even sweat.

i don't sweat much at 120-140bpm, but i mostly ride outside. i find that most people who are serious about getting in shape (as opposed to just posing at the gym to meet guys) are overdoing their heart rate. typically, to build aerobic fitness, you want to exercise at a pace where you can still carry on a conversation.

I usually try for about 85% if I'm on a treadmill, bike/rowing machine, which is about 145 BPM at my age. I sweat a lot at 140+ BPM. When I run outside or climb steps (I work in a 29 story high rise with stairwells that run from top to bottom) I don't actually measure my heart rate, but I sweat a lot so I know its up there. I do various types of cardio for about 35-45 minutes 4 days a week and I've been making pretty good gains. I usually rest on Fridays since I also ride for several hours most weekends. Hare Scrambles are heavy on cardio. I find that varying your routine uses different muscle groups and helps more for riding than doing the same thing all the time. Running is my favorite and probably the easiest route to intense cardio, but doesn't work the quads as well as biking or stair climbing. it also makes my knees hurt if I do too much.

In a perfect world I would just ride most every day and not have to workout at all. :bonk: Unfortunately work gets in the way of that plan. :naughty:

2 weeks ago I've started going back to the gym.

I do anywhere from 45-60 minutes of cardio. I anticipate to get my endurance back within a month or so then I'll scale back the cardio (30 min) and start lifting again. For my build, heartrate from 135-150 is ok. Any less than 135 is ineffective and anymore than 150 is near-heart attack heart rate for me.

Basically I need to lose about 15-20 lbs or else the summer riding here in CA will kill me.

Thanks all, I plan on 2-3 days a week for the hour(or more).

I have been @130 hb ave. with a max of 165. I believe that

range is good for me(6'1" 235lbs). I just need to keep at it,

so racing 4 motos on Sunday will be a breeze.

Thanks all, I plan on 2-3 days a week for the hour(or more).

I have been @130 hb ave. with a max of 165. I believe that

range is good for me(6'1" 235lbs). I just need to keep at it,

so racing 4 motos on Sunday will be a breeze.

Sounds like a plan, except aim for always doing 3 days every week. 4 if you can fit it in. Only 2 days a week is better than doing nothing, but gains will be very slow.

Also, clean up your diet. Get rid of the junk food, fried fats, pop. Add more veggies, fruit, turkey instead of beef.

Yeah I agree 4 days a week is ideal.

Thats what I'm doing now, Im gonna see if I can work a fifth day into my schedule.

I think that the National Institute of Health reccommended one hour per day EVERYDAY!

I think that if you have a serious day job that that is alot. I do six days/week.

I think that the National Institute of Health reccommended one hour per day EVERYDAY!

I wish that was practical :bonk:

Don't buy it! No pain no gain is as far from the truth as one can get! Those who know about getting fit and staying fit will tell you, you don't have to leave a work out totally soaking wet from sweat to have done yourself some good. In fact, its just the opposite! Really! If you want to get fit and not waste a lot of spent energy, find a good book or article on fitness, read it, and follow the recommendations, results will be quicker and painless, plain and simple. Your work out ought to be about you. identify your weaknesses and build on them. A good measurement is your listen to your body. If you race, whats your heart rate during race. Another important factor is your recovery rate. How long does it take to get your heart rate down to near resting heart rate? By knowing these factors you can design a personal fitness program which will get you to where you want to be.

"Nutrition is significant. Without the right nutrition, a patient gets less than 50 percent out of their exercise program, which impacts their overall results."

I get 4 hours a week. Thats enough to still be going strong at the end of 4 hours of enduro raceing. Provided you have enough food and energy gels.

Training alone isn't the whole answer. You also need to get your diet in shape, get enough sleep (very important), and develop a program for yourself that you can stick to.

Sometimes the best thing to do is spend the $$ to meet with a personal trainer for some advice and a specific program.

On diet, lose the junk, add fruits and veggies, eat breakfast every day and make it a healthy one. And avoid going through any fast food drive through for any reason.