Sign in to follow this  

Fork seals covered under 1yr warranty? 400 SM

My fork seals are leaking and i'm just wondering whether they'll be covered...i have 4000km on my DRZ-SM...

my service manager is kinda dragging his heels on finding out...

to my knowledge no,unless covered under good will.

how many miles?

brakes,forks seals,clutches etc are usually not covered.

seriously? it only has 4000km on it!!! I bought it in July but its only been ridden for 4 of those months!

Did you try going around the seals with something thin? I'm not sure which to use, I have no experience here but I've seen it posted that a piece of a grit can get under the seal and that trick has worked. Try searching for more info.

Hope it's something simple like this for you, I'm so glad mine haven't started leaking despite being submerged in mud once and covered in it many other times.

I'm searching a bit, first post that came up didn't talk about that trick, but I wanted to quote something Harry was told:

He said: "Seals are weird. They can last years, or fail after one ride. The tiniest piece of grit can cause one to go bad, or the front end can get caked in mud and the seals are fine."

Fork seals leaking on (almost) brand new bike?!?!

This guy used old film negative and contact cleaner successfully:

Leaking fork seals(fixed) how to

Good luck!

If Suzuki covers them make sure you post it. I would be very impressed with them if they did.

to my knowledge no,unless covered under good will.

how many miles?

brakes,forks seals,clutches etc are usually not covered.

So there are some good points to living over here then.

Neil. :bonk::naughty::D

Much easier to defend home, family, and self with something having more ammo than fresh seals.

Sorry about that Eddie.

I just find it very surprising that motorcycle warranty is so different over there to what I am used to.

Over here it is for at least 2 years, and covers parts and labour with no milage limit.

You also get a rescue service membership, again for 2 years.

About the only thing not covered is consumable like tires chain and sprockets, and service items like plugs.

Oil seals and wheel bearing and the like would be covered for normal mileage.

yes,its drastically different.

how much a does a drz cost there?

Around £3800.00 or $7,479.51 at the moment for an S.

E's are available if you look hard for £2700.00 or $5,314.39 unregistered.

SM's around £3999.00 or $7,871.20

They are all on the road prices with a years road tax, and all registration and dealer charges.

Bikes will have 2 years parts and labour warenty + recovery to home or dealer, inthe case of breakdown, puncture or accident.

Not sure how that compares to the US, what with earnings etc.

But to give you a clue, a skilled machinest, mill or lathe would take home £300.00 for a 40 hour week.

An unskilled or semi-skilled factory worker from about £150.00 to £230.00 for 40 hours

you can get a new S model for around $6000 including tax title etc here.

same machinist here makes about double what you list if not more.

sounds like they factor in the better warranty into the price in the UK.

sounds like they factor in the better warranty into the price in the UK.

Sounds about right :bonk:

So would you like to come and work over here for about £300.00 take home 😛

naw,i will pass.i dont really talk about what i make,but lets just say i do way better than the previous mentioned machinist.

naw,i will pass.i dont really talk about what i make,but lets just say i do way better than the previous mentioned machinist.

You would over here as well, but you would need to set up on your own to do it.

Plenty of units available to rent round here :naughty:

Neil. :bonk::D:bonk:

just so everyone knows, they're covering it under warranty :bonk:

I guess it might have helped that my brother works at the dealership...I forgot to ask whether they were covering it under goodwill or if it was actually covered...I'll find out.

Only one of my local shops covered my leaking seal under warranty. The shop that I bought the bike from would not cover it under warranty. Four other shops around Raleigh would not cover it.

That was 3 months ago. I now have another leaky seal, and they were going to cover it as well, but I am now over my one year mark. Great service and friendly folks. After that, anything I need from a dealer, I go directly to them.

Now I am going to take the fork leg in and have them replace the other seal, and their price will be $100. I don't know, but that seems decent to me. I don't have the time or tools to do that repair myself.