Sign in to follow this  

oil drain plug question

just changed my oil and the plug srewed in cross threaded. i was wondering if there was anything to do for this. im just workied later down the line for an oil change the plug isnt going to hold. what are your thanoughts? thanks PJ

Can you put the proper torque on it now? I so you're probably ok, if not you need to install an insert or bigger plug.

Can you put the proper torque on it now? I so you're probably ok, if not you need to install an insert or bigger plug.

don't install a bigger plug. get something called a heli-coil. it's an insert you can put in stripped threads and then there are new theads on the inside. it will save a lot of money in the long run because if you just put in a bigger plug you could easily crack ur crank case and thats not a cheap repair.

If the thread as wercked,and your afraid of it leaking slowly as you ride, just put a bead of slilicone on the threads. You could try wunning a Tap through it to possibly fix the thread, depending on the damage.

If the thread as wercked,and your afraid of it leaking slowly as you ride, just put a bead of slilicone on the threads. You could try wunning a Tap through it to possibly fix the thread, depending on the damage.

but you have to be super careful using a tap because you could get some metal shaving in the trans and then you would have to tear it apart and then rebuild it.

don't install a bigger plug. get something called a heli-coil. it's an insert you can put in stripped threads and then there are new theads on the inside. it will save a lot of money in the long run because if you just put in a bigger plug you could easily crack ur crank case and thats not a cheap repair.

Maybe I should have been clearer. For a bigger plug I would, of course, rethread it. I didn't mean to just jam a bigger plug in. Yes, an insert is better because he'd have to try really hard to screw it up again.

yea man u dont want it to come out, that happened to me when my "supposed to be mecanic" dad did tightin it down and it came out in a race, and on a 4 stroke thats not cheap to replace.