Sign in to follow this  

Fork spring stuck

Well I've searched the subject and come to realize that the previous owner of my honda 450 mixed up the fork guard and disk guard bolts trapping the spring in the fork tube.

Thing is, I can't seem to get the fork lug off to fix it. Removed the set screw, torched the tube/lug for 10-15 minutes (residual oil was boiling in the tube). Still won't budge even with a rubber strap wrench.

Any help?

I once put a coat hanger in a vice with the other end hooked on the spring and slide hammerd the spring out.At first it was just springin in and out so I gave it a good tug and BIIIIIIIIING!! it was out:ride:

I remember reading about this in MXA.... sucks that it happened to you.

The only thing I can remember is they said you had to "sweat" the axle holder off in order to repair the problem.

From what it sounds like this is what you are trying to do.... unless "sweating" something off is different than heating it.

Maybe do a search on DLC (Diamond Like Coating) lower tubes. I am pretty sure you have to remove the axle holders to coat the lower tubes. Maybe you could find some tips that will help you out.

Good Luck and let us know what happens...

I would leave it alone if possible, they tend to damage the threads sometimes when you remove the lugs, as someone has forced a bolt through i think it will be a real struggle to remove the lug, if you need to fit softer/stiffer springs you have the option of fitting them to one side only, the bike will handle normally dont worry.

You probably burnt the o-ring in there so you should remove it and replace or check it. You should be able to remove the lug be using a vise w/some soft jaws and a long punch or screw driver to put through the holes on the top of the tube to use as leverage for twisting.

I removed a spring that was stuck by using a long punch going in through the lug and giving it a good whack.

Good luck!

I would leave it alone if possible, they tend to damage the threads sometimes when you remove the lugs

I don't THINK he can leave it alone without repairing the tube.

From what I remember reading when you install fork guard mounting bolts that are too long you actually push the walls of the lower tube in.

When the fork reaches the bottom of its travel this can cause binding and reulst in abnormal handling.

Like I said though... this is all from reading MXA.... this is not from personal experiance.

I was doing research on what to look for when buying a used CRF.

I guess that makes sence, wonder how much new lowers are through the TT store?

I don't THINK he can leave it alone without repairing the tube.

From what I remember reading when you install fork guard mounting bolts that are too long you actually push the walls of the lower tube in.

When the fork reaches the bottom of its travel this can cause binding and reulst in abnormal handling.

Like I said though... this is all from reading MXA.... this is not from personal experiance.

I was doing research on what to look for when buying a used CRF.

Could be possible but the tubes are made of steel and the lugs are aluminum. I would think that the threads would strip out in the lugs before doing any magor damage to the tube.