Sign in to follow this  

St.Helens Report

The snow is all gone there are a few spots that are muddy but nothing to be conserned about.The only real problem was the whoops it is really whooped out other than that the trails are in great shape.I think we are going to try Geels on Sunday I will give a report on that as well.. Get out there and enjoy:ride: :bonk:

Guys that rode Geels last weekend said the north side was pretty flooded yet and the south side had a good number of snowy/icy patches but was otherwise ridable.

Guys that rode Geels last weekend said the north side was pretty flooded yet and the south side had a good number of snowy/icy patches but was otherwise ridable.

Thanks, I was planning on heading out to Geels tomorrow. Haven't decided on that or try Ogemaw, I haven't been on that one yet. Any other suggestions for something close to that area?

What's the connector like between Geels and St. Helens?

I'd bet the south loop at Geels would be generally fine given the week of extra warm weather that it's received.

The connector between Geels and St Helen would be OK. There's a big mud/swamp hole right before the trail pops out on Pine Drive (if you are coming from St Helen, it's the last trail section before you head down the road to the Geels system). I would avoid that spot by jumping on the snowmobile trail and running it up to Pine Drive. The trail crosses the snowmobile trail a couple times before this mudhole, it's pretty narrow old single track winding through a clear cut that's maybe 10 years old, so lot's of scrub. You'll be able to tell when you are in this section, and can watch for the sled trail. * need a plate to do this legally *

Oh, the connector itself is old MCCCT. Combination of snowmobile trail, forest two-track and old single track (generally wide enough for an ATV and generally whooped out in many sections). Seems like it's about 1/3 of each type. There are a couple really neat sections of trail in there, well the few that haven't been clear cut yet.

Ogemaw should be relatively high & dry. Probably a better time to ride that trail as the sand will be wet & packed pretty good yet. The trail from St Helen's parking area to Ogemaw Hills will have one bad mud hole (pick your way around it) and a couple exciting hill climbs (off-camber, exposed roots, north side of the hills so it's bound to be snotty too). Can't think of any mud on Ogemaw Hills off hand. You could skip the trickier section from St Helen to Ogemaw by riding the road on the east side of the RR tracks down to the trail (once you cross the RR and head east from the St Helen MS Area, you are in Ogemaw county, which is open to ORVs on their county roads. Tricky area given the county boundary and use-area - be familiar with the map if you are not plated and want to take advantage of the Ogemaw county road situation.

I'd bet the south loop at Geels would be generally fine given the week of extra warm weather that it's received.

The connector between Geels and St Helen would be OK. There's a big mud/swamp hole right before the trail pops out on Pine Drive (if you are coming from St Helen, it's the last trail section before you head down the road to the Geels system). I would avoid that spot by jumping on the snowmobile trail and running it up to Pine Drive. The trail crosses the snowmobile trail a couple times before this mudhole, it's pretty narrow old single track winding through a clear cut that's maybe 10 years old, so lot's of scrub. You'll be able to tell when you are in this section, and can watch for the sled trail. * need a plate to do this legally *

Oh, the connector itself is old MCCCT. Combination of snowmobile trail, forest two-track and old single track (generally wide enough for an ATV and generally whooped out in many sections). Seems like it's about 1/3 of each type. There are a couple really neat sections of trail in there, well the few that haven't been clear cut yet.

Ogemaw should be relatively high & dry. Probably a better time to ride that trail as the sand will be wet & packed pretty good yet. The trail from St Helen's parking area to Ogemaw Hills will have one bad mud hole (pick your way around it) and a couple exciting hill climbs (off-camber, exposed roots, north side of the hills so it's bound to be snotty too). Can't think of any mud on Ogemaw Hills off hand. You could skip the trickier section from St Helen to Ogemaw by riding the road on the east side of the RR tracks down to the trail (once you cross the RR and head east from the St Helen MS Area, you are in Ogemaw county, which is open to ORVs on their county roads. Tricky area given the county boundary and use-area - be familiar with the map if you are not plated and want to take advantage of the Ogemaw county road situation.

Thanks for the info! Looks like i'll try Ogemaw first since I've never been there and hit Geels if there is time. We're plated so that's not a problem.

Do you remember if there were many trees down on the St. Helens trails? I will be up there in 2 weeks to do trail maint. and I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

Jason - not been much reported about downed trees and we've not had the big wind storms like last year. Shouldn't be "that bad".

Do you remember if there were many trees down on the St. Helens trails? I will be up there in 2 weeks to do trail maint. and I was hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

If there are trees down, pretend you don"t see them. It adds charachter :bonk:

St.Helens is fine I was up there wensday the whole day from 10am-7ish. Water was very rare. The trails we nice, where the water was theres mud. The mud is alright not to muddy its drying out. If you go u will be alright. ( i didnt ride geels but we rode a lot of others ) didnt have a map or compass so i have no clue as to where i was. At one point i know we were very close to the border of gladwin county.

St.Helens is fine I was up there wensday the whole day from 10am-7ish. Water was very rare. The trails we nice, where the water was theres mud. The mud is alright not to muddy its drying out. If you go u will be alright. ( i didnt ride geels but we rode a lot of others ) didnt have a map or compass so i have no clue as to where i was. At one point i know we were very close to the border of gladwin county.

Sounds like St. Helens is in good shape right now. Can't wait to get out there......:bonk:

If there are trees down, pretend you don"t see them. It adds charachter :naughty:

AMEN to that :bonk:

It would be nice to leave the tree's, but we can't. Last year we had a lot of tree's to cut up. Thanks for the info guy's.

Jason

It would be nice to leave the tree's, but we can't. Last year we had a lot of tree's to cut up. Thanks for the info guy's.

Jason

Jason, I know what you mean. We take care of the Lincoln Hills ,Cabberffee trail. Most times it just kills us to clean the trails up the way the DNR asks. Biggest pain in the butt is blocking all the spider web trails that get started.

The Ogemaw trail was a blast, Saturday was a great day for riding.

Lots of mud holes to get around or go through, no snow.

140157235-M.jpg

140157501-M.jpg

140157805-M.jpg

140157776-M.jpg

:bonk:

Does anyone know if the St. Helens area got very much snow in the last couple of days? Seems like different parts of the state got pounded with the white stuff but many didn't. I am trying to figure out if it is worth trying to do trail maint. next weekend or skip it for now.