Sign in to follow this  

03 RM250 Spark plug?

Wow my first post! Anyways I tried to search for the plug info and I had no luck. My question is: What is the model plug that an 03 RM250 takes? I got a crated 03 from Babbit and it's being shipped to me as we speak. I want to get a couple of extra plugs(for jetting) and maybe find a better price than a dealer, if it's possible. Anyone know of a place off hand that has a good deal for the plug? Thanks in advance.

Well I guess I should have looked on the first page before doing a search! YAHTZEE! Here's what I found: NGK BR8EG, is this the correct plug for an 03 RM250???

NGK BR8EG. They are only a few bucks each but I get most of my stuff from Monkey But or Rockey Mountain. Congrats on the new bike.

Kevin

goneyellow: Everything I have read so far states that it takes a "special" plug that costs about $15-20 ea. Is the BR8EG that plug?

You can get the BR8ES plugs from Advance Auto Parts for around $1.60 each. They may even carry the BR8EG. The BR8ES is what 90% of the 2 stroke guys run. It's a great plug, with a long life. It just doesn't have the fine tip electrode like the EG. I don't buy into the fine tip electrode deal, but some will argue up & down about it.:bonk:

Well I have read that the reason why the bike uses the "special" plug is because of the chance that the arm could break off and cause a big problem in the cylinder. I would rather be safe than sorry. Has anyone out there actually experienced this problem with the cheaper plugs?

the 03 rm250 takes the br8es/eg thats what the manual says and i pay about 1.79-.99 at napa/schucks/autozone your basic autoparts place i'll usually buy a few at a time the less time i have to spend in those places the better does anyone else wonder how some of the cashiers actually get hired in those places.

I believe the NGK R6918B-8 is the "Special Plug" that you have read about. It's for earlier year model RMs ... not the 03. The BR8EG is the correct plug. The BR8ES is the same plug without the fine tip. The BR8ES will outlast the EG in most cases.

Well I have read that the reason why the bike uses the "special" plug is because of the chance that the arm could break off and cause a big problem in the cylinder. I would rather be safe than sorry. Has anyone out there actually experienced this problem with the cheaper plugs?

I know that Suzuki had a issue in the past with the plugs breaking but the issue was solved in the 90s. You are ok with the the $1.95 plugs.:bonk:

Sweet, thanks a lot for the info. I was starting to compile a secret fund for my spark plugs that my wife would know nothing about :bonk:! She's already pissed off because I bought a new bike and then the plugs that I would have to change costing over ten dollars a pop, wow I'm glad I can use the cheap ones.