Sign in to follow this  

RM 250 setup questions.

Ok guys, I'm picking up my 07 RM 250 next week. I sold my CRF this week and I can't wait to ride a new bike. I've been on a thumper for 6 years and I'm done for awhile.

I was curious what "the setup" is for the clutch. I know Hinson is a good place to start, but it's been over 10 years since I've been on a suzuki. Is the RM clutch still notorious for notchy shifting/fading/slipping?

The last 2 stroke I had was a CR, and just like honda brakes, you always use the OEM clutch plates too. Is there a better clutch plate for the RM than the stock?

I was thinking maybe going to a magura hydro clutch. Worth it or not? Easy clutch pull is a pet peeve of mine. I had the MSR raptor on my CRF and that thing was butter for 2 years as long as I lubed it every ride.

Any other suggestions? Suspension for 6' 185lb MX expert, springs/revalve?? Vforce? FMF/Bills/PC pipe?

So many questions, but I just can't wait to ride this thing. I feel like I'm about to lose my virginity again for the first time!! HAHAHAHA

All i did was use Maxima Mtl 75 and it helped

The bike now starts in 1st gear no problem and also smoother shifting

Having owned several KTMs and Husky TC450, I'm a huge fan of the magura clutch also. I currently don't have one on my '03 RM250 and to be honest I don't really think about it much when I'm riding. Obviously, suspension setup is the highest priority, so I'd concentrate on that first (I'm sure you know this since you're an expert rider!). Mine was resprung for 195 lb sr. intermediate by the previous owner and it works nice, especially on the rear.

I'm much faster on this RM than I ever was on my previous bikes and I've only ridden it twice. Best handling bike I've owned! Power is touch lower than my 03 KTM 250sx, but then again, that bike was a freaky fast.

Keep us posted on your progress with the bike.

...my '03 RM250...Best handling bike I've owned!

That's no lie! I also have a YZ426 and I have to climb up on the tank when turning...on my RM I can stay much more centered and keep the back tire biting and the thing just rails corners.

In a recent dead-engine start GP I was the 5th guy into the first turn behind four e-start KTMs, 3rd guy out of the corner, passed the next guy in the second corner, and had the lead coming out of the third corner. Turned inside of every one of them. :bonk:

on my 05rm250 i run valvoline 10/40 and the clutch lasted 2 years with stock components- i am a clutch abuser and ride a lot of sand.

the 06-07 plates are upgraded from previous years.

Having owned several KTMs and Husky TC450, I'm a huge fan of the magura clutch also. I currently don't have one on my '03 RM250 and to be honest I don't really think about it much when I'm riding. Obviously, suspension setup is the highest priority, so I'd concentrate on that first (I'm sure you know this since you're an expert rider!). Mine was resprung for 195 lb sr. intermediate by the previous owner and it works nice, especially on the rear.

I'm much faster on this RM than I ever was on my previous bikes and I've only ridden it twice. Best handling bike I've owned! Power is touch lower than my 03 KTM 250sx, but then again, that bike was a freaky fast.

Keep us posted on your progress with the bike.

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it.

I just checked the Race Tech Spring calculator and it says to stick with stock for my weight. I think that's the first time that's ever happened! Hopefully I'll just have to set my sag and ride. What are the odds of that? hhaha