Sign in to follow this  

Options to get a dirtbike around with a Honda Civic?

What options do I have to get a dirtbike around with a Honda Civic? Thanks in advance.

Do a search for "Harbor Freight Trailer" -there will be hours of reading for you!

You could install a hitch on it and buy one of those bike carriers that slide in the hitch.

You could install a hitch on it and buy one of those bike carriers that slide in the hitch.

This would drastically exceed the capacity the rear suspension has-remember that a hitch carrier extends far beyond the normal ball, therefore the "lever effect" is much more extreme.

That, and I doubt you could find a hitch with a high enough tongue rating to handle a bike + carrier that will fit on a Honda Civic-remember, the tongue rating of the hitch is rated for use as a hitch (much closer in), not out 2+ ft like many carriers place the center of the mass.

i pull my 2006 crf 250 r with my honda civic ex 1996, i am using a reese hitch made for the honda civic. the trailer is a harbor freight trailer. i did the math before attempting. you will be fine.

What options do I have to get a dirtbike around with a Honda Civic? Thanks in advance.

Well if the Civic is old enough and you don't care about it - ride it up on top - front wheel on the roof, rear wheel on the trunk.... :bonk:

You would be better off installing a hitch on your bike and towing the civic.

LOL best thing ive heard all day!

After some reading I think I will go with the Harbor Freight trailer. I know bigger wheels are better, but I think I'm going to go with the 8" wheels/tires version.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42709

I'm guessing it will sit more level on the back of my civic and also will take up less space in the already cramped garage. Where do I get some good rails or wheel chocks to hold the wheels in place? Thanks for all the info guys.

I've got the smaller trailer myself (8" wheels) ... Works great, but it's simply a bear to back up at anything over 1mph ... If I had to do it again I'd get the one with the 12" wheels ... :bonk:

DSC04639.jpg

DSC04639.jpg

I dont know if its just me, but does anyone else find it extremely funny seeing an Impreza pulling a trailer? Although, I must say, it would be even funnier to see him rallying with his trailer attached to the back, someone call Pastrana, it's a Nitro Circus moment.

I have pulled three bikes on a a 4x8 harbor frieght trailer behind a geo metro hatchback with a homemade hitch. Talk about getting weird looks.

I have pulled three bikes on a a 4x8 harbor frieght trailer behind a geo metro hatchback with a homemade hitch. Talk about getting weird looks.

:naughty:

Have done something equally... what would be the word?

STILL looking for that picture of my 1976 Triumph Spitfire pulling a trailer... :bonk:

I dont know if its just me, but does anyone else find it extremely funny seeing an Impreza pulling a trailer? Although, I must say, it would be even funnier to see him rallying with his trailer attached to the back, someone call Pastrana, it's a Nitro Circus moment.

I was wondering how well it drifts with the YZ on the back?!

Where is a good place to buy the rails you bolt to the trailer that hold the wheels in place?

Any metal suppliers. I would advise using aluminum, since it is lighter, and won't rust up and look nasty-you can leave it bare, and not worry one bit.

Just ask for aluminum channel that is just a bit wider than your rear tire.

I used to pull a 3 rail trailer with three bikes on it and gear with a 4 cylinder Toyota Tercel 4 speed manual. I used to leave it in 3rd and let her rip up the hills and it pulled 4th no problem. I used to cruise at 65-70mph. It used to rub the rims when the trailer wasnt on because it had bigger rims but with the trailer on it didnt actually rub as much. Wierd.