Sign in to follow this  

Which year KDX?

I am in the market for a KDX. I am focusing on a newer model (03/04/05/06) and would consider either a 200 or 220.

Are there any known issues with any of the above years/models? (defects/weaknesses)

Is any year/model better that the rest? (improvements)

Or are they all essentially the bike?

Thanks

1996-2005 have the exact same part numbers for every sinble engine part. I suspect the rest is the same as well. It is the same bike. Stay 96+.

have fun!

The last version of the KDX200 was made from 1995 - 2006. All of those years are similar.

The KDX220R was made from 1997 - 2005. All of those years are similar. A few differences between the KDX200 and KDX220R are:

KDX200 = 198cc, KDX220R = 216cc

KDX200 came stock with non-ring chain, KDX220R came with o-ring chain (and reported wider rear chain guide)

KDX220R has several reports of stock piston breakage (many have switched to an aftermarket piston)

KDX200 came with 35mm carburetor, KDX220R came with 33mm carburetor

both have broad powerbands, but the KDX220R engine has porting and carburetor more suitable for low end RPM power

there have been reports of the lime green fuel tanks cracking at the fuel cap area (I can't remember seeing any black tank cracking reports - 2003 and newer)

both are durable, inexpensive to maintain compared to most off-road motorcycles

IN MY OPINION, go for condition and not year model.

Good luck on your search!

Ahh Ok. I know that I rebuilt my whole 2002 motor and I checked 1996 and 2005 and every bearing and seal and part had the same part number. I cross referenced them all.

I assumed if that was the same then the rest of the bike was likley the same. Perhaps a bad assumption as you say. The tanks turned black in 03 and the frame paint went Silver to mention a few changes.

I thought mechanically they were the same though? I know the motor is. In any event, I would go definitly for condition not year as mentioned by KDXGarage.

Good point on the frame paint. Indeed, they are all PRETTY MUCH the exact same.

I remember seeing that the 1996 clutch springs are a different part number. I THINK!!! they are supposed to be better and not just different.