Sign in to follow this  

New to Me KLX300

I recently decided to get back in to riding after a 14 year break. I bought a 2000 KLX300. It had two owners, the second not riding it much. To get the bike ready for sale the owner had the following work done:

Oil and filter change, spark plug, carb clean, new air cleaner, new tires and new brake pads.The only mod on it is an FMF pipe.

The engine is pretty noisy and from the posts I have read this is probably normal. It also seems to hesitate a little at low RPM, but I have yet to take it out on a good ride and I think this will improve when I get it hot and run it. Other than that it seems to start well and idle well. I did have some trouble starting it on one occaision.

I wanted to have Kawasaki go through it completely but they wanted crazy money for that so I made an appointmet to get the valves checked and adjusted if needs be. I will do a lot of the other maintenance on my own.

I guess what I want to know is does this sound like a plan. Also is there anything else I should look at considering the age and the fact I don't know the past maintenance history. As a former XR500 rider this is all new to me.

Randy

Rocklin, California

Dad on a 2000 KLX300

#1 son on a 2006 CRF80

#2 son on a 2007 CRF50

Wife is finally happy I shut up about getting back in to riding!

I also just noticed oil leaking out of the shocks!

Bummer!

RANDY

Ummm, there's only one shock. Guess you mean the forks?

Learn to check the valves yourself. It doesn't take any special talent or tools.

Ride on

Brewster

• Like 1

Learn to start it properly, retime the ACR, inspect the idler gear for worn bushing. Search for info on the above.

For a 2000 model, you need to contact Brewster about doing the ACR mod on your exhaust cam. The late 2002-up bikes came with a newer cam that repositions the ACR and makes for an easier kick through. Search for information on idler gear failures. Don't want to scare you, but they had a tendancy to break if the proper starting drill is not utilized.

I've noticed a lot of 2-stroke riders trying to start a 4-stroke like they would their own bikes. 4-strokes need to be at TDC.

My son has a 2000 model and I have a 2002. Mine is easier to kick, so I'm assuming it's the late 2002 version. I contacted Brewster a long time ago about doing the ACR mod on my son's, but I just haven't got around to pulling the cam and sending it to him. He's done around 100 or more for other KLX riders and I've heard nothing but good things.

Check out PlanetKLX.com. There's a bunch of free mods you can do if they haven't already been done. Then you can mods as you see fit. Have fun chasing the kids!:bonk:

• Like 1

run a thin feeler guage or some film negatives up under the dust seals on the forks. They will stop leaking.

Buy a manual and do the valve check yourself. It takes 20 minutes and if you actually need to adjust them, take it in or go to planetklx for more details.

Change the oil.

Ride.

I have always kicked over my four strokes in the manner described above. the bummer is, I didn't know you could damage my bike by doing it wrong. The guy who sold it to me never mentioned it. This web site is a life saver!

I am going to be replacing my clutch cover as soon as the part arrives. I think I'll check the idler gear while I am at it!

I have always ridden Honda XR series. I am not used to these issues. Problem is I love the Rider position on The KLX. I can't even tough the ground on a modern XR400.i hope once I work through a few things I will have a nice reliable bike to cruise around with my kids.

Thanks all!

Randy

i hope once I work through a few things I will have a nice reliable bike to cruise around with my kids.

Thanks all!

Randy

Randy, the KLX is stone reliable. It has it's "issues" just like every other bike - xr's included. Get the idler dealt with and you'll be fine. Check the valves on occation and you'll be good to go. The KLX is a VERY reliable modern 4s bike.

Thanks for the help. I have the bike at a local Non Kawasaki repair facility. I tried to clean the fork seals but they are leaking bad so I am having them done. They are also going to clean my carb. They say the bogging at low RPM is classic dirty carb syndrome. I am going to have them check the bike out, including the valves.

I only paid $2000.00 for the bike and the prior owner spent $600.00 getting it ready for sale. When I am completely done, I think I'll end up with a decent entry level bike for around $2500.00. That's not really a bad deal!:bonk:

Thanks Again

randy

If they're taking the carb off and doing the fork seals, it may be a good time to do see what (if any) mods were done to either of them. The forks would benefit from a work over and some replacement parts, as would the carb. Check other threads in TT and PlanetKLX and you'll see lots of free advice about both. Getting the carb jetted correctly and the forks dialed in properly yields a lot of improvement. Depends on what kind of cash you want to spend, but the labour that covers the above will be more than the cost for parts.

Ok the final word on this deal:

I put my bike in a local Non- Kawasaki mechanic in Roseville California. The guy was excellent by the way.

He did my fork seals, checked and adjusted the valves, installed a new plug and cleaned and adjusted the carb. It seems the dealer put in the incorrect plug.

The work cost a little over $340.00 and the bike starts first kick and runs like it's brand new.

I have a clutch cover on order and when it gets here I plan on replacing it and hopefully check the Idler gear.

I'm going to take it out tomorrow and see how well it does!

randy

Forgot to mention, I took the bike out to Prarie City last Saturday. I went early before it got busy. This was my first time on on this or any other Kawasaki.

I have to say it was pretty quickand it handled well.I think I could easilly keep up with the XR 400 crowd on it. I did not push it hard because I have not ridden in like 14 years but I am happy with it.

I have it apart, hopefully for the last time now. I need to replace the clutrch cover due to a JB Weld repair on it. I ordered the cover but forgot to order the needle bearings so here it sits again. It was a bit of a fixer but in the end I think it'll be OK.

Thanks again for the help.

randy