Sign in to follow this  

06 vs 07 450EXC What am I missing?

$6500 + $200 (to make street legal in MT) for an 06 450EXC vs $7700 for an 07 450EXC. What am I missing by getting a leftover 06? I don't need the break off rear turn signals, the instrument cluster gm or ford would be proud of, or the frustration of rerouting hoses/wires and removal of exhaust baffles to make the bike run competitively. What did KTM do to improve the 07? Is the engine significantly improved, suspension, frame geometry? I do not care about resale so a new 06 is the same as a new 07 to me in that sense. I fear the next step in 08 will be a dual overhead cam. That is just another maintenance nightmare. Did KTM make $1000 worth in improvements? My 2000 400EXC has been a dream machine and I plan to keep it. I just feel the need to get a newer machine before they make them too technologically advanced to suit my needs. Please help me by pointing out what I am missing.

06 to 07 updates primarily are the 07 has a redesigned clutch cover and I beleive suspension dampening has been improved.

The 06 EXC has been replaced in the product line by the XC-W except they dropped the enduro style lights and spark arrestor

The EXC name got hijacked for a new product being the XC-W made 50 sate street legal.

For Montana, I think getting the 06 would be the smart move even if price was the same as I assume you need a spark arrestor and enduro style lighting should be OK

$6500 + $200 (to make street legal in MT) for an 06 450EXC vs $7700 for an 07 450EXC. What am I missing by getting a leftover 06? I don't need the break off rear turn signals, the instrument cluster gm or ford would be proud of, or the frustration of rerouting hoses/wires and removal of exhaust baffles to make the bike run competitively. What did KTM do to improve the 07? Is the engine significantly improved, suspension, frame geometry? I do not care about resale so a new 06 is the same as a new 07 to me in that sense. I fear the next step in 08 will be a dual overhead cam. That is just another maintenance nightmare. Did KTM make $1000 worth in improvements? My 2000 400EXC has been a dream machine and I plan to keep it. I just feel the need to get a newer machine before they make them too technologically advanced to suit my needs. Please help me by pointing out what I am missing.

I would prefer to have a dual over head cam motor, but I'm happy with my single for now.

I would buy the 06 over the 07 EXC in a hart beat.