Sign in to follow this  

Street legal KTM 525

A friend of my just purchaced a new ktm 525,he wanted a duel purpose so the salesman told him they would convert it for him at nocharge.Picked up the bike yesterday and realized that it does not have DOT approved tires, no mirrors, and nowhere to mount the plate, yet he got the plate with the bike. Is it legal for the dealer to have registered this bike for the street?

I'm not sure how the laws work in your neck of the woods, but here in Ohio, you can buy a KTM with a street title w/o the proper DOT equipment on the bike, that's what I did with my '05 300EXC. BTW, was this a leftover '06 525? The '07s are fully DOT compliant street legal bikes (at least here in the States).

PS, if your license plates are the same size/bolt pattern as our in the States, this is what your friend needs, http://www.enduroeng.com/item.asp?ItemID=183&Category=New+Products It bolts right up to the inner fender that comes on the KTM.

Phoned the dealer yesterday, spoke to the manager.Told him he requested a street legal bike.Manager got a little snotty and told him that the best he can do is price up the parts and give him a deal on them. So my friend told him to price it up, and while hes doing that told him he's contacting his lawyer. 2 hours later the bike was equiped with everything. I guess it is illegal.

Don't know which 525 he bought but all 2007 KTM 525 EXC's(and 450's) sold in Canada are street legal from the factory and come with everything(mirrors,brake light,speedo,DOT tires etc) to make it street legal.

Maybe he bought an 06,or maybe the nasty dealer stripped it down and was trying to make some extra cash........

Either way if it was an 07 EXC it should have been ready to hit the pavement.

Would love one myself but a new truck sorta got in the way!

Don't know which 525 he bought but all 2007 KTM 525 EXC's sold in Canada are street legal from the factory and come with everything(mirrors,brake light,speedo,DOT tire etc) to make it street legal.

Maybe he bought an 06,or maybe the nasty dealer stripped it down and was trying to make some extra cash........

Either way if it was an 07 EXC it should have been ready to hit the pavement.

Would love one myself but a new truck sorta got in the way!