Sign in to follow this  

$3000...dont know what to do

well heres my problem... to haul my bike right now, im using a TIRED 1988 chevy S-10. 238,000 miles, 4 cylinder,auto, shortbed. with my 426 in the back, i can barely run 60 mph. my first car was a 1986 mustang gt convertible that im now selling for $3000. im pretty sure im going to sell it (its been advertised for 2 days and weve got 7 calls already.) so heres my problem.... ive got a 1986 Jeep Comanche with an bunch of mods (lift, 35's, lockers, etc). its a longbed but its got a 2.8 liter V6 and an automatic. it struggles on the highway REALLY bad. i can either use the $3000 to drop a 350/350 chevy combo in it or i can find myself a little V6 longbed S-10 for about the same price. Either way i need a longbed, 4 wheel drive and enough power to magage highway speeds for at least a couple hours without problems. thoughts?

ive thought about that too..... but i really like the jeep and it would be an awesome hauler/trail truck. and if i got a fullsize id want to lift it and put tires on it anyways, same goes for the S-10. im not sure though.... if anything ill get an early '90s model just because theyre so cheap. problem with an 90's full size is it WILL have more than 100K miles almost guaranteed. jeeps only got 46k, not bad for 21 years old.

Your on right track exc 4wd.I just bought 98 s10 ext cab 4cyl 2.2l for5500.

only 60k on it w/a 5spd.First tankful got 26.2 mpg!!!Lovin it!!!

I think payload for extremes are only 500lb!!Mine has 2k payload or towing

ability,not that I'm going to attempt that!

Id say fix the Jeep, or save up another grand... I got my 2002 Ford Ranger Long bed recently for $4k with a 3.0L and auto tranny. Im coming from an 87 Cherokee, so I know about the Jeeps, since the MJ (Commanche) is the same front end with a different rear suspension design..

If you're ok with the size of the S-10, sell the 4 banger and buy a v6 5 speed S-10. with 3000 bucks you could buy a really clean 80s S-10 or a not so clean 90s S-10, both are great little trucks and the V6's will run forever if you take care of them.

• Like 1

the size of an S-10 would kind of bother me but the price is what gets me. id love to get an extended cab longbed fullsize with a 454 and a 5 speed, but i dont have 10 grand to spend....

ok so i need to think things out before i jump to conclusions, but i think i discovered the perfect idea. mid 90's dodge dakota. 6'6" bed, extended cab, V8 (318, but could be swapped to a 360 easily), 5 speed manual, fuel injected. easier on gas than a full size, but could tow a trailer easily. has room in the backseat for gear and had 4wd to get me where i need to go. all for under $4k!!! its perfect!

ok so i need to think things out before i jump to conclusions, but i think i discovered the perfect idea. mid 90's dodge dakota. 6'6" bed, extended cab, V8 (318, but could be swapped to a 360 easily), 5 speed manual, fuel injected. easier on gas than a full size, but could tow a trailer easily. has room in the backseat for gear and had 4wd to get me where i need to go. all for under $4k!!! its perfect!

The 318 has plenty of power to do anything that chassis (or tranny, if it's the AT) can handle. IDK if you'll find it's much easier on gas, maybe 1-2 mpg on avg.

Don't jump on the first one you see, shop hard, and check it over well.

Sounds like a good setup for your needs.

the V6's will run forever if you take care of them.

The V6s were more known for blowing up than the 4-bangers. They were known for going through intake gaskets all the time too. GM's V6s were not the best in those days and the DEFINETELY would not "run forever".

Id say save up untill you can afford a decent fullsize with a V8.

Well, first of all a 318 is gonna drink gas, no matter what size truck its in.. you wont get better mileage than a full size.

Second, I thought you wanted a long bed?

If you do get a dodge, make damn sure you get a stick, the dakota auto's didnt last any time at all behind the V8.

The V6s were more known for blowing up than the 4-bangers. They were known for going through intake gaskets all the time too. GM's V6s were not the best in those days and the DEFINETELY would not "run forever".

Id say save up untill you can afford a decent fullsize with a V8.

You'd have to abuse the hell out of a 4.3 to NOT get 300,000 miles out of it, and I've seen plenty of 2.8s run at least that many miles too.

The 4.3 is just a 350 v8 minus the back 2 cylinders... it has all the same legendary reliability and durability as the 350. :bonk:

Well, first of all a 318 is gonna drink gas, no matter what size truck its in.. you wont get better mileage than a full size.

Second, I thought you wanted a long bed?

If you do get a dodge, make damn sure you get a stick, the dakota auto's didnt last any time at all behind the V8.

well i thought it through, i can settle for the shortbed as long as its extended cab. i figure a 318 with a 5 speed in a mid size would get around 17 in town and 23 on the highway. well, thats what ive heard from the owners ive talked to. you also gotta think the weight diff. between the dakota and a fullsize chevy, ford, or dodge. it probably weighs a bit over 4000 compared to about 5000 for an extended cab sb fullsize. plus, the shortbed on the dakota is longer than the one on my dads 1990 chevy shortbed extended cab.

well i thought it through, i can settle for the shortbed as long as its extended cab. i figure a 318 with a 5 speed in a mid size would get around 17 in town and 23 on the highway. well, thats what ive heard from the owners ive talked to. you also gotta think the weight diff. between the dakota and a fullsize chevy, ford, or dodge. it probably weighs a bit over 4000 compared to about 5000 for an extended cab sb fullsize. plus, the shortbed on the dakota is longer than the one on my dads 1990 chevy shortbed extended cab.

Realistically, you should expect 18 hwy, 15 in town on the high side, and that is if driven conservatively (no stop light full throttle stuff, and keeping it under 70 mph). Just remember, fuel economy is like dating in high school-most guys skew the numbers upwards.

I say sell them all and buy a 04-06 toyota reg cab, 2wd, stick, low miles. I have been down the road of worn out stuff, and I ended up spending more in the end. the toyota is cheap to maintain, cheap to insure, good mileage, very reliable, easy to load a bike into, and will give you a decade or more of reliable service. (if you don't abuse and maintain properly)

I know you said you needed 4wd, but you may want to do a cost-benifit analisys. For me, i unload and ride the bike when the raod gets that gnarly.

This is my opinion, I was once in a very similar situation.

You are smart buy soliciting other peoples advice. Don't rush into anything.:bonk:

You'd have to abuse the hell out of a 4.3 to NOT get 300,000 miles out of it, and I've seen plenty of 2.8s run at least that many miles too.

The 4.3 is just a 350 v8 minus the back 2 cylinders... it has all the same legendary reliability and durability as the 350. :bonk:

I wont deny that the 4.3L is a great motor (Id say expecting 300,000 miles is a bit much though), but the 2.8L was a POS.

Sorry, I know lots of people who had that motor in S-10s and you were lucky to get 75,000 miles out of it before the headgasket blew.

I say sell them all and buy a 04-06 toyota reg cab, 2wd, stick, low miles. I have been down the road of worn out stuff, and I ended up spending more in the end. the toyota is cheap to maintain, cheap to insure, good mileage, very reliable, easy to load a bike into, and will give you a decade or more of reliable service. (if you don't abuse and maintain properly)

I know you said you needed 4wd, but you may want to do a cost-benifit analisys. For me, i unload and ride the bike when the raod gets that gnarly.

This is my opinion, I was once in a very similar situation.

You are smart buy soliciting other peoples advice. Don't rush into anything.:bonk:

2.8's suck hard... that what the jeep has. its even souped up and it still wont run more than 60 mph. i refuse to buy a non american made truck. and plus, id like to be able to have fun in my truck AND on my bike.

Sorry, I know lots of people who had that motor in S-10s and you were lucky to get 75,000 miles out of it before the headgasket blew.

never seen a headgasket blow on the 2.8. The only real problem those motors ever had were with the throttle body injection, and even that would last well beyond 75k.

I got this for $4000, and its in great condition. If you shop around, you can find great deals...

101_0026.jpg